Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BIggleswerth

Is this how I get enlightenment?

8 posts in this topic

One day I got high and visually imagined a mouth talking. Except what it was saying was exactly my inner voice. So I had this shift in perspective with my thoughts, as if I was listening as an outsider. Just as might happen if you're listening to a friend. I was like wuhhhh duuuddeee my thoughts aren't mine. They are from this monkey's mind.

I also, at some point, think I realized on the surface level, that the difference between my normal perspective and seeing the thoughts as not my own, is the fact that I cling to thoughts.

So anyway that got me thinking. Maybe enlightenment can be this simple for me:

1. Train non-clinging non-judgmental mindfulness/observational skills with meditation for a while. Not sure how long.

2. Use this skill as a tool to look at my thoughts without clinging to them, to gain insight.

3. Then I'm GUESSING that I'll understand more DEEPLY that the self is an illusion in the monkey's mind, and the thoughts come and go as easily as the breath. And hopefully the shift in perspective will be permanent because shifts don't seem to be permanent for me.

What do you guys think? Am I on the path?

Edited by BIggleswerth

The more detached you are from your thoughts the higher your perception is.

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

The more detached you are from your thoughts the higher your perception is.

That's sooo true. It's like observational skills.

But how to be enlightened so you can stay detached from thoughts? 

You dont have to get enlightened to do this any spiritual practice will help you to detatch to a certain degree. You will slowly be aware of how you are investing in a particular way of thinking and it is not just happening to you, than it is natural to detatch. We invest a lot in our thought because they represent a part of our identity and we always want to protect it. This is a survival mechanism. A samadhi state is called a state where you simply have no thoughts, to do that you got to let go your whole identity and that takes a lot.

11 hours ago, Aldo said:

You dont have to get enlightened to do this any spiritual practice will help you to detatch to a certain degree. You will slowly be aware of how you are investing in a particular way of thinking and it is not just happening to you, than it is natural to detatch. We invest a lot in our thought because they represent a part of our identity and we always want to protect it. This is a survival mechanism. A samadhi state is called a state where you simply have no thoughts, to do that you got to let go your whole identity and that takes a lot.

You seem very wise, can you please interpret what I write here, I hope it's on the right path.

I feel like I am the presence that wills thoughts into existence.

For a while, I could meditate, look at my thoughts, and feel detached from them. Like they were not me or coming from me. But somehow they knew what I intended or wanted to think about. Like my inner voice was reading my mind.

But now I think I see, I choose to give power to certain very subtle forms I think we might call emotions? And from these the thoughts arise like branches sprout from a tree.

So I am not the thoughts, I did not exactly choose the thoughts, but I chose a certain direction for the emotion and thought.

And with this identity less knowledge I feel like I have to change the reasons for why I live.

One of the most immediate concerns is preserving this knowledge.

Edited by BIggleswerth

That mouth you described came up with a strategy that you now claim as "your" idea. Mind is a funny bag of tricks. 

Edited by molosku

3 hours ago, BIggleswerth said:

You seem very wise, can you please interpret what I write here, I hope it's on the right path.

I feel like I am the presence that wills thoughts into existence.

For a while, I could meditate, look at my thoughts, and feel detached from them. Like they were not me or coming from me. But somehow they knew what I intended or wanted to think about. Like my inner voice was reading my mind.

But now I think I see, I choose to give power to certain very subtle forms I think we might call emotions? And from these the thoughts arise like branches sprout from a tree.

So I am not the thoughts, I did not exactly choose the thoughts, but I chose a certain direction for the emotion and thought.

And with this identity less knowledge I feel like I have to change the reasons for why I live.

One of the most immediate concerns is preserving this knowledge 

You are on the right path as long as you are always seeking and observing. Do not get stuck whith conclusions and asumptions. Going deeper and deeper with this type of enquirie requires an unwavering focus and courage to destroy false beliefs. The mind is a very tricky tool to work with and honestly i dont have a very deep understanding of it compared to guys like Leo or people who are on the path of zen. They seem to have a sharper intelect. As about me i work more on my energies through yoga not that I've neglected my psychology but that just seems to be smoother for my growth.