Ross Labby

Which University or College Should I Attend?

7 posts in this topic

Ok, here we go! So I must decide which university or college that will attend by around May 1st. Although it may sound like a last minute idea to ask for help now, the two schools that I was waiting to hear from just responded back to me recently. I live in Canada, so the two schools that I got accepted to are Cambrian College and OCAD U. The Cambrian program is Independent Music Production, while OCAD is Drawing and Painting. The music program is one year, while the drawing and painting is four years. Now I am in the middle of a big dilemma because for the most part I have decided that my life purpose is within music (particularly singer/songwriter). So obviously it would seem that I should go with the music rather than the art program. But here's the thing... like I said, the music is ONLY 1 year, while the art is 4 years. Not to mention the fact that the music program that I applied to is not necessarily the best program (kinda average), while OCAD is literally ranked among the best art schools in Canada. I had to submit portfolios for both programs (to which I had got accepted to both) and felt flattered and validated since I had been accepted to OCAD (but that is only because it is regarded as one of the best). However, if I do take the music one, there is another music program for performance at Cambrian which is 3 years in length. Ideally I would take that after, but what if I do not get accepted. And I am well aware that university and college education is not the be all end all of life, but it is still an important decision that I must consider for the next few years of my life. So which one do you think I should attend to? and if you have any other advice just let me know.

Also, to add onto my life purpose in music, I have been having some doubts and questions about my choice. First off, I have taken a music program at my high school that allows me to use the recording studio, which I have used and recorded stuff. To be quite honest, I find it a little boring after using it for a bit. But I am not sure if that boredom is just a sign of resistance, a result of the work environment itself, or a legit disinterest in the process. But I always have my big grand vision in mind that gets me excited and ambitious. However, part of me really wants all of the fame and glory of being a musician including forms of it like admiration, sex, love, and all of that material and social shit. Like for example, I have never been in a relationship, had sex, or had great amounts of social status. Part of me is just thinking that this lust for all of this material stuff is just a sign that I must fulfill these needs within Spiral Dynamics stage orange. Obviously I will need to put attention into this stuff separately from my life purpose, but part of me still wants fame and glory with my life purpose. So is this a bad sign for my life purpose? Should I find a new one? Or is this just a natural phase/process as I will eventually get sick of the fame? Because overall I really do enjoy songwriting, singing and playing an instrument. On the other hand, I still love the visual side of art. On a side note, after thinking and contemplating about my life purpose, part of me is more attracted to the live performance aspect of music than studio (even though studio is still great and essential).                                                                         

Thank you for reading and I hope to hear your advice! :)

Hey dude I'm in your exact position and I'm from Canada too! 

I've ultimately decided not to attend university in spite of getting accepted by my first choice because it does not serve my Life Purpose of being a wizard.

If you have ultimately decided that you want to do music then I would definitely check out the music program...I think that going to OCAD simply for the prestige would be a bad decision.

The fact that is one year is good because your perspective on life will change dramatically within one year...especially at this age (I'm assuming you're about 19 years old).

Dont worry about not getting into other programs in the future. If it is meant to be then you will make it happen. If not, then no worries.

Uni is def a tough decision that I had to make for myself and I hope that you make the one that FEELS right for you...make the decision with your intuition...dont let your logical mind disrupt you too much.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

Doesn't really matter what school you go to or what program you go into. You'll be there and do your best, and redirect course to a different major (or different school) if you need to. Trust yourself!

If you don't like music record, what about being a music manager? Helping artists get recording contracts? Maybe you could get a job or internship at a music company and observe all the jobs, see which one gets you excited.

Hope this helps!

@Adam M Yeah, you're right! Going to OCAD for the prestige would be the wrong decision. Deep down I think I really want to do music. It is true that after one year I will have new ideas about what I want to have and do in life. Thanks for that insight! Actually after reviewing some of the programs that I applied to, one that I like is a film program at Laurentian university which allows for electives in music and theatre to be chosen. So, I am not quite sure if I should go with this program which is more diverse and open or the one that is clear cut and narrow (the music program). But I will need to think about this more. Thanks again!

Edited by Ross Labby
Needed to write more

@Wyatt Actually, a music manager is something that I have no interest in at all (as of now that is). I didn't quite clarify or elaborate on what I was talking about. When I was going on about me not liking the recording studio, what I meant was that I am not a big fan of the producer and computer aspect of it. The part I would want to be though is the performer. An internship could be helpful. Thank you for your input.