Cocolove

Weekend 'retreat' report

3 posts in this topic

I want to be able to do a 10 day vipassana this summer, so I'm working my way up. Two days ago (friday) I realized I had a pretty free weekend, and decided to go for it. I still had about 8 hours of homework, just one of the cult like qualities of our pathologically orange education system im only half kidding .

Friday I did Kriya in the morning before school, and did 2x 1 hour vipassanesque self inquiry sits.

Saturday and Sunday I did my daily 1 hour kriya, and then 4x 1 hour sits, so a total of 12 hours from when I got home to now, sunday afternoon. I always do kriya at 6  am soon after I wake up, and did my 4 sits at 730, 10, 1230, and 3, with a little leeway. 

It was hard, but not that hard. I did almost SDS style sits for all of them except the very last one sunday, just a bit ago. I got really bad ass pain and sat on the floor then went back to my seat. Right now and today I have felt very restless. It is very very challenging to sit for even 2 minutes without getting up all ancy, opening my eyes or thinking a lot.  I feel very uncomfortable in my own skin, and also feel a deep sense of emptiness, not the good kind. I was expecting this because 1. I've done this once before(3 sits /day + kriya for 3 days). and 2. I've read about it appears to be 3 characteristics stage from MCTB2.

Overall I learned I need to do this more, or the 10 day retreat will be impossible. Or that's just mEgo making a big deal out of it to scare myself.

Many people go to the 10 day retreats with no training or former practice at all. It'll be intense either way, but the first 3 days are the hardest and at the retreats, you have no possible distractions and the energy there is quite peaceful.

Your ego is definitely making a big deal out of it, but I still think that mini-retreats are awesome and I want to do more myself

Vipassana retreats are so smooth, you can easily go on a retreat without preparation. Many "normies" who don't meditate at all complete them successfully.