PetarKa

Enlightened Mathematician? — Jorge Luis Borges

2 posts in this topic

Anyone familiar with Jorge Luis Borges? Is this a hint at Absolute Infinity? I think Leo has mentioned this guy in one of his vids, not sure.

In the essay “Avatars of the Tortoise”, [Jorge Luis] Borges speculated that paradoxes were clues to
the unreality of the world:

Let us admit what all idealists admit: the hallucinatory nature of the world. Let us do what no idealist has
done: seek unrealities which confirm that nature. We shall find them, I believe, in the antinomies of Kant and
in the dialectic of Zeno.
“The greatest magician (Novalis had memorably written) would be the one who would cast over himself a
spell so complete that he would take his own phantasmagorias as autonomous appearances. Would this not
be our own case?” I conjecture that this is so. We (the undivided divinity operating within us) have dreamt
the world. We have dreamt it as firm, mysterious, visible, ubiquitous in space and durable in time; but in its
architecture we have allowed tenuous and eternal crevices of unreason which tell us it is false.

Source: "Labyrinths of Reason" by William Poundstone.

Edited by PetarKa

Hes was very much into mysticism, not enlightened but he said he had a few mystical experiences

Dont look at me! Look inside!