Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rigel

How do you make a distinction between meditation and self-inquiry?

6 posts in this topic

I read Being aware of being aware by Rupert Spira and since i've been trying to implement this stuff in my meditation practice the line between that and self-inquiry got blurred. When doing self-inquiry it's the question like "who am i" or "who is perceiving" that seems to grow some conscious traction but now when I meditate I focus on being aware and I feel like it's doing the same thing or it's headed in the same direction. Often I do both in one sitting. When I get tired of focusing on awareness I ask myself a question and it kinda keeps my awareness on the track.

I heared Leo say in one of his video that meditation is not quite the same thing as self-inquiry and that self-inquiry is somehow more direct or more powerful. Maybe i'm doing self-inquiry the wrong way?

Sailing on the ceiling 

@Rigel

Being aware of being aware and self inquiry are literally the same thing. It is about turning attention on itself by skillful means like being uninterested in thoughts and objects or by a question like who is aware? This contemplative meditation leads to self realization.

On the other hand, meditation in the general sense facilitates the opposite direction of attention. it's about focusing attention towards a single object like breath or a mantra. These concentrative meditations lead to more focus and mental resolve and a quiet mind which ultimately prepares one for the contemplative mediation like self inquiry.

The 2 methods complement each other. Self inquiry brings the breakthrough. Concentration meditation prepares the ground for it to happen and stabilizes the realization.

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@RigelBeing aware of being aware is definitely very similar to self-inquiry and essentially the same thing. Of course there are obvious differences between self inquiry and other meditation techniques like body scanning or noting. But with being aware of being aware, if you're intending to meditate, you probably don't want to be mentally asking yourself any questions like you might during self-inquiry. Also during self-inquiry you can have your eyes open of course. So there are some differences. 

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

At the time i'm doing sessions of 30min and I have no particular difficulty on concentration. Of course my mind wonders off but not for significant amount of time. I'm always returning to the awareness. 

Would you suggest that I keep a more traditional "concentration" meditation where I focus on an object? I feel like it's not going very deep when I do that.

Sailing on the ceiling 

38 minutes ago, Rigel said:

At the time i'm doing sessions of 30min and I have no particular difficulty on concentration. Of course my mind wonders off but not for significant amount of time. I'm always returning to the awareness. 

Would you suggest that I keep a more traditional "concentration" meditation where I focus on an object? I feel like it's not going very deep when I do that.

Do concentration meditations if you feel that mind is really distracted or it feels dull and bored most of the time when doing self inquiry. Breath awareness all throughout the day helps a lot in this case.

If you feel sufficiently calm and alert, self inquiry or abiding as Awareness is the highest meditation one can do.

You seem to be already in a good position. The next step for you could be to not confining self inquiry in a particular sitting routine but to try continuing it throughout the day while doing other activities.

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

1 hour ago, Preetom said:

The next step for you could be to not confining self inquiry in a particular sitting routine but to try continuing it throughout the day while doing other activities.

I am going to give this a shot thank you!

Sailing on the ceiling