Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
emind

Advice on Drastic Transformation- Here's My Plan, Please Tell Me What You Think

3 posts in this topic

Through self examination and trying to be as honest as I possibly can with myself, I have stumbled upon a bitter truth about myself, one that is both immiserating and liberating at the same time. The introspective insights that Ive had lately, remind me of Carl Jung's famous quote, "That which you most need, will be found where you least want to look." This mirrors exactly what has happened to me. For years, my friends and relatives have admonished me, about how I lack practical skills (i.e. street smarts), and assertiveness, and how my constant distraction and lack of focus hinder my ability to succeed in the world and not be taken advantage of. I realized that much of my neurosis comes from this very fact, and the low self esteem that comes along with it. To be more specific,

I believe my main problems are:

1. I lack assertiveness - Im extremely nice (or at least act that way) and struggle to say no to things that I dont want to do because I feel sorry for other people.

2. I am in my early twenties and still depend on my parents financially, and I have a very deep yearning for independence.

3. I forwent many of my more "mundane" , materialistic, stage orange desires and goals (i.e. getting laid, making money, status) in a misguided  effort to embrace spiritually prematurely. I rationalized having sex and going out as being frivolous and petty, and withdrew significantly from those activities while at the same time denying to myself that I in fact wanted them. 

Ive always been interested in very esoteric and abstract things, Ive always loved history, politics, philosophy, and science (much of my absent mindedness in quotidian matters stems from this). I understand the importance of having a life purpose and doing something that fulfills me. I came to realize that something akin to political and philosophical commentary in the form of entertainment/informative media would be something that would fit really well with my personal desires and values, but....

Heres the catch. Given the way in which entertainment media works (ie Youtube), it is highly unlikely that I will be able to make my ends meet from my life purpose in the short term. So I have come to defer this for the moment, and set it more as a long term goal. I will still work on it, but it will be on the sidelines.

For the moment, in order to remediate #2(above), I believe I will have to learn practical skills that I currently lack, and that I dont necessarily like, in order to gain the independence I so much crave within a year.

So these are the things that I will do:

1. I will learn web development and copywriting, and work in freelance within the next year, in order to gain some amount of income that will eventually allow me to move out of my parents', and if possible out of my small ass country, to a place where I can do pickup and fulfill my stage orange cravings.
  2. I will NOT abandon my spiritual practice, I will continue with my hourly meditation sessions and will utilize this as a doorway to get rid of my pathological "people pleasing" trait.
  3. I will, in the  3 upcoming years, work on my long term goal of establishing a political and philosophical commentary channel, improve my video and editing speaking skills and make a substantial living out of it. 

So I was thinking, how could I optimize this plan more efficiently? What am I missing? And, more importantly, what other practical skills besides copywriting and web development could I learn in a short term span (3-6 months) to start making money quick?

Edited by emind

Your plan sounds reasonable although I'm completely ignorant about copyrighting and web development.

In my experience, quick, drastic change rarely 'sticks' but transformation is definitely a word that better describes how change can be lasting. Transformation occurs more definitively when it happens gradually and in concert with continuity of consciousness. 

Arnold Keyserling put it-- We forget our aim because we change personalities every 5 minutes all day long.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

@emind do it first and see if it works... then you tell us. exercise the ability to trust your intuition.

unborn Truth