kieranperez

The Last Shaman (Netflix Documentary) - 10/10

1 post in this topic

I really felt this documentary. This is not some educational thing on shamanism. This about a young man who over the years kept following society and parents and what he was programmed from day 1 what he truly thought he intuitively wanted out of himself and out of life and as the years moved on he felt more and more dead to himself and to life. Just the way they presented the early stages of this documentary really moved me personally because it really grounded me back to where I used to be just a few years ago. Waking up every single day feeling like there's no point not only to get out of bed but no reason not to put your head on railroad tracks and just begging for a train to run over your neck. Just the look I saw in his eyes from that time really moved me because that was me. I remember he said, "I'm not prepared to live the rest of my life this way," and I was about to lose it inside and cry because if I hadn't acidentally stumbled on some of @Leo Gura's videos and that one silly 26 minute Sam Harris guided meditation with some self-inquiry at the end, I wouldn't have the vision I have now and the clarity and also confidence that spirituality has given me. 

I think this documentary is not really so much about shamanism itself as it is showing that this way that we live in the modern Western world is a life and isn't sustainable. Sometimes you need to almost kill yourself to really get out of the excesses, assumptions, etc. in order to really move forward. We need to be alive and not dead as result of culture, society, and no longer be dead to ourselves. The goal of life is life itself. 

Edited by kieranperez