Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MrEgoless

Are synthesised supplements bad for your health?

4 posts in this topic

I've watched Leos supplement video and I have been taking supplements for over a year now. I take a few days off every now and then, I have about 30 supplements in total but sometimes I take 20.  

I watched this video and it made me think if it really is 'safe' Most people tell me a balanced diet is better for you (which I do but take supplements too Like Leo)

Anyone on the same page as me???

Here are my thoughts on this. I made it about half way through the video.

First, I would recommend you read his published literature if you are truly interested in the subject. He claims to be the only one publishing research like this, so what does his data look like? I work in the medical profession, and I can probably find you a copy if it requires a subscription etc.

My main point addresses this argument that he opens with: "Synthetic multivitamin takers die sooner"

This does NOT mean the multivitamins are necessarily causing people to die sooner. Think along the lines of "100% of people that drink water die within 120 years!"
It could be that those that feel they need additional supplementation to their diet are aware that they are not eating a balanced and effective diet. Maybe these people tend to have a personality that likes to take the "easy way out," and feels like they can just pop a pill in the morning and ignore the rest of their diet. They could be sick already, and compensating for a deficiency they know they have. So if you take 500 vitamin users and 500 non-users, it's likely the vitamin takers will die sooner. 

If you can get all of your nutrition from nature without synthetics, do it! If you are on a restrictive diet or your body is having trouble breaking something down, obviously you could use some help.

Comments on other points I heard:

"We take vitamins and minerals in forms not found in food (that are not effective?)": There can be some truth to this. Our bodies are capable of easily converting many minerals and vitamins into larger building blocks that we need... But sometimes we take forms that we cannot utilize. This simply comes down to knowing the basic science and only taking supplements that have quality ingredients (not necessarily the strictly natural ones). Pretty much all of the vitamins that we do not utilize are excreted in the urine. As long as they are water soluble, the body simply gets rid of it. That's why you can take 1000% the daily recommended dose of vitamin C and not keel over and die.

"Associations with cancer: folic acid (vitamin B9)": Can consistent and excessive amounts of anything (synthetic or not) lead to cancer and other illnesses? Yes. Sometimes these things are proven and disproven again 10-20 years down the road. Bottom line, if you think you need it, take it, and if you don't, there's probably a better supplement for you. Again, read the peer reviewed literature to decide.

"Vitamins in excess" See my point above. Many are water soluble. Find good vitamin profiles with the least amount of excess, or avoid the multivitamins.

"Antioxidants in vitro. Food nutrients work, synthetics don't." - Same as above. A certain compound either works as an antioxidant in the body or it doesn't. Grape seed extract etc. are known to be powerful antioxidants, and they are taken as PILLS. Can you also down 1,000 grapes for the same effects? Sure, knock yourself out.

The chemical composition of H2O is two hydrogens and an oxygen bound together, no matter how I obtain it... Whether I evaporate it out of another solution, perform reverse osmosis, or purify it after it falls out of the sky. There are probably some methods you consider "natural," and some you consider "synthetic," but at the end of the day, as long as the chemical that enters your body is H2O, the effects will by and large be the same.

My 2 cents.

Edited by ZZZZ

Thank you for your reply, that was a really good answer!!

I take supplements just like in Leos Supplement video, I just want to be healthy :)

I should really take a blood test tho, I do eat healthily too.

@MrEgoless cool, glad I could share a different perspective :) keep a balanced diet and stay active, and I'm sure you'll be fine. I wouldnt sweat the synthetic vs natural distinction much.