SageModeAustin

motivation

5 posts in this topic

how do u guys maintain motivation when dealing with things like depression and ocd?

Your intuition is your own personal genie.  Learn to trust that infinite intelligence.

I was diagnosed with OCD as a child. I've had to learn how to pace myself as opposed to making many changes at once. I've also had depression. With depression you really have to learn what your needs and values are. Know thyself, as Socrates said. By that I mean, what makes you feel healthy, happy, and alive? In my opinion this is the first step on the actualization journey. The second step is to commit. Make commitments to that which you value so you feel healthy, happy, and alive.

See what kind of stuff motivates your depression too. Sometimes we cannot only look at what motivates us for better, but what's motivating us in general

I think Mindfulness is good. with mindfulness you start to become more aware of the thoughts that contribute to your feeling of depression.  Over time I have become aware that a lot of my feelings of depression were mainly due to being tired.  tiredness can trigger a negative spiral of thinking. at least for me. so now, when I feel depressed, I just accept that I am probably tired and I realise that my feelings of low interest and low motivation are merely because my brain wants to sleep more than anything else.  I then make a plan of what to do in the time I have between now and bedtime.