Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
David1

[book] The Human Zoo- Desmond Morris (9/10)

2 posts in this topic

Quite an old book but still a very interesting read. Zoologist Desmond Morris compares human behaviour with that of captive animals in a zoo and reveals some striking similarities between them. I believe there is also a bbc documentary about this book.

Humans in their cities, and animals in their zoos, both have food and shelter provided for them, and have considerable free time on their hands. But they have to live in an unnatural environment, and are both likely to have problems in developing healthy social relationships, both are liable to suffer from isolation and boredom, and both live in a limited amount of physical space. The book explains how the inhabitants of cities and zoos have invented ways to deal with these problems, and the consequences that follow when they fail at dealing with them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Human_Zoo_(book)

I agree, most of us are in an extremely unnatural situation, but we have gotten so used to it that we dont realize the synthetic structure of our lives is the underlying reason for so much of our confusion and suffering. We are so far off from what we are evolved to be that we have no idea what it would feel like to be a normal human being. The normal we think we are trying to be is a hugely manipulated social experiment in capitalist industrial profit making. I always wondered why things felt so weird, uncomfortable and wrong but its because the foundation of the institutions controlling my life never had my best interests in mind. But I am feeling much better now. I have learned to get some of the skill a real evolving human being needs to feel good. These are what they are, spend alot of time in the natural world, build your own house, make your own clothes, know every plant and animal in your area and how to use them, grow your own food, collect food in the wilderness, have a detailed moral/social code, work 1.5 hours per day in general, live with old and young people, cook with fire, make natural health care products and medicines,make bow and arrows, make footwear, train to be strong, have a secure self defense, be epic in general etc. Knowing how and doing these things helps me deal with the problems of the industrialized world. Ooo that reminds me I have to go to the woods tomorrow and get mushrooms!

Edited by Kevin Dunlop