Kallan

Will Enlightiment Affect My Ability As A Songwriter

8 posts in this topic

I've been a song writer for many years and am sort of worried about one aspect of enlightenment. It's said that you have to move past the physical and basically let go of your physical self.

This kind of leaves me wondering, will this affect my ability to write songs if I persue enoightenment? To write a good song you really seem to be able to feel the emotion of the song and express it but this sounds counter intiutive to enlightenment. 

Song writing is not really something I want to give up. I do it very often and it's not something I want to give up but does this mean I can't persue enlightenment. I'm still fairly new to the topic so I'd really appreciate any advice.

I argue for the contrary! I think meditation and enlightenment work can make people more spontaneous and creative. I'm a composer myself, and after doing more and more consciousness work I find it a lot easier to come up with original music than before. Eckhart Tolle has also spoke about how true creativity comes from a state of stillness, a quiet mind :)

I'm not sure about enlightenment (it still is quite abstract idea for me) but spiritual practices bring nothing but huge improvements in music writing. Can't imagine enlightenment being an obstacle in this case. 

If enlightenment does anything, it makes you MUCH MORE attuned to emotions.

It's a common misconception that enlightenment makes you emotionless. Just the opposite. You become so sensitive to emotions that they flow through you without resistance.

The capacity for creativity also skyrockets.

The thing you should really be asking yourself is: How is staying unenlightened affecting my songwriting ability?

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Kallan If enlightened, you'd realize you were never writing music in the first place. So you'd remove the imaginary middle-man that is actually getting in the way of creativity and just allow the process to happen.

It depends. When you have "no self", the ass simply drops out of your life. Your life is built up through and for "the self" because that's all you've ever known. Once you see it for the illusion it is, and it only takes split second, then "the self" is gone forever and it will never, ever come back. Your self image motivates you in most things you do, perhaps even music. Reaching enlightenment isn't just the bells and whistles that everyone thinks it is, it can actually be quite traumatic in various ways. Sure, there's love, peace, and life becomes effortless, but not necessarily. EVERYTHING will be gone, and that includes possibly your want and drive to do the things that mean the most to "you". Most people don't actually even want what enlightenment actually is, when you get it it's nothing like anyone thinks it might be or like anyone has told you. That's because everything you think is filtered through the one thing that stands in between you and enlightenment, the illusion of self. 

So my suggestion is to ask yourself, could you bare giving up everything you've ever known? If not, stick with the song writing, and work on self development. 

Thanks for all the good advice. It seems that persuing enlightment is going to transform my song writing and posibably make it even better but it's good to know that it won't hinder it. Also good to get a reply from the big man himself. I love your videos Leo. They've really helped me transform my life and I'm greatful to you. Keep up the awesome work.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:48 AM, Kallan said:

I've been a song writer for many years and am sort of worried about one aspect of enlightenment. It's said that you have to move past the physical and basically let go of your physical self.

This kind of leaves me wondering, will this affect my ability to write songs if I persue enoightenment? To write a good song you really seem to be able to feel the emotion of the song and express it but this sounds counter intiutive to enlightenment. 

Song writing is not really something I want to give up. I do it very often and it's not something I want to give up but does this mean I can't persue enlightenment. I'm still fairly new to the topic so I'd really appreciate any advice.

@Kallan Here is one view on making music and enlightenment by David Icke