key

All Opinions Welcome

6 posts in this topic

I'm seeking advice on what to pursue with my time dedicated to enlightenment (which I have an abundance of outside work) I'm looking for the most useful information, links, videos, books, skills, knowledge or advice I can obtain that anyone could provide in my journey.

Currently my focus is on 

• Self Inquiry
  • Normal Meditation 
  • ' Ego goals ' I like to call them, working on yoga, martial arts, astrology, geography, language skills 

Anything to add would be appreciated, Thank-you ?

Also I know what I'm seeking is what many of us are, but im attempting a more personal type view, say what was the most influencing factor in your journey, a book that opened your eyes, a video that made you question things, an article that made you take a look at your own life, ect..

Edited by Kenya

Your own pain and suffering will be the single most important factor in whether or not you awaken. Focus it like a magnifying glass focuses the sun onto your illusion of self. 

@Kenya This is the best guide to self inquiry I've found. Single most important factor in "my journey".

On 6.4.2016 at 10:40 AM, Kenya said:

Anything to add would be appreciated, Thank-you ?

For me personally it changes what I do with time. I started out a year ago just with Leo's advice (self-inquiry) - from his videos. Then I got Eckhart Tolle's book and one from Alan Watts which extended my intellectual framework. Going on, I switched from self-inquiry to strong determination sittings and "Do Nothing" because I have more and deeper realizations with that techniques. I did that for 6-8 months while extending my framework with a lot of Shinzen Young videos, hours of Alan Watts lectures and lately some Matt Khan stuff.

Then one and a half month ago I really stopped seeking enlightenment because I had the notion that it is the seeking that builds up my spiritual ego and keeps me away from waking up. So I stopped seeking and started being it. Seeing it in every moment, feeling good when I was good and feeling bad when I was bad. This was very important but it needed some time and a lot of prior realizations to happen.

Now I switched to Zen mainly, because I can identify a lot with what they do. So I practice Zazen with strong determination sittings, apply the Zen mind throughout the day and read up on Dogen and his work.

Basically you have to dig around a little bit and find your masters on the way. But more importantly is that you don't only consume the frameworks but really apply it in your day to day life. Not just in meditation but try to really breathe it in every second. For me, this brought me and still brings me everyday to a whole new place of knowing - and it's beautiful.

Cheers, :P

PS: I also watch some Rupert Spira videos these days. Heard of him in this forum. Stay around, you'll be introduced to a lot of great teachers and perspectives you can apply.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

1 hour ago, Arik said:

For me personally it changes what I do with time

1 hour ago, Arik said:

Seeing it in every moment, feeling good when I was good and feeling bad when I was bad.

Couldn't agree more with this. Every moment of my entire life has been important, and continues to be so. From building my ego up to tearing it down, to doing absolutely nothing about anything.

The video was wonderful, basically, but the length was an issue. I agree with the conceptions that were provided but it may be bit elementary, but has some good inspirations and understandings that are able to be applied to our lives as awarenesses that provides a greater sense of 'being'.