wingsofwax

What happened to me?

7 posts in this topic

Like many other meditators, I've had some weird experiences, but there is one in particular that I'd like to get your opinion on. I'm not claiming that what happened to me is unique in any way, but it is sufficiently strange that I can't really find much information about it online. Maybe there's someone on this forum that can either relate or shed some light on the subject. I'm tryinog to keep this relatively short.

I began a daily one-hour meditation in the beginning of last year, and after about a month, something very odd happened to me. During a session, my head began to move on its own, or at least, that is how it felt to me. It was a very curious sensation, and while I was able to stop the movement, it required intense resistance, so I simply let the movements happen. They began to increase in intensity, and soon I was rolling around on the floor doing what I later realized were spontaneous yoga poses. My body was moving, but I wasn't really in control.

This lasted for maybe 2 hours, and there was a sense of wonder but also disbelief and a little fear, because I had no idea what was going on. I decided to keep my head cold and simply explore what was happening.

The next day, it happened again during meditation, and I found out that I could access this state simply by kneeling on the carpet and just letting go of control. My body would take over and go into stretches and poses.

I began experimenting with letting go of control this way. It turns out that when you let the body do whatever it wants, it apparently wants to sit around and do nothing most of the time.

This continued for maybe 6 months, and then the intensity of the experience began to fade, and i began focusing more on my regular meditation practice.

I've left out much in the interest of brevity, but I hope this gives you a general picture.

Has anyone heard about this sort of experience before? The closest phenomenon I've read about seems to be a kundalini awakening, and those spontaneous yoga poses might have been kriya yoga, but really, I have no clue. Any information will be appreciated.

Nothing of this intensity in my direct experience, but something that might be tangential - I would often try to let go of control and be like 'do whatever you want' to the body. In such cases my hands would start doing random movements and everything would seem to be happening of itself.

I recently had the realization that there is no such thing as 'action', but simply perceptions and sensations of impersonal occurrences (reality itself). Thus, any control is just an illusion - the ego is trying to predict what is going to happen as it has no idea/control. So it might be that this occurrences were there to show 'you' something similar to this. 

Using the guy sitting next to the road analogy - he can only guess which way the cars are headed, but has no real control over it. However, he believes that he is orchestrating the entire event. This is in a way the ego.

Interesting post.

Edited by Flammable

You see, the reason you want to be better, is the reason why you aren’t. Shall I put it like that?

We aren't better, because we want to be.

~ Alan Watts

Those are called Kriyas.

It doesn't really matter. The body/mind bio-machine is just rewiring itself and working stuff out. Let it happen naturally, don't cling to it, don't get wowed or distracted by it, and carry on with your practices with your eye on the ball: Truth/Enlightenment

Basically, no matter what happens during spiritual practice you just keep doing the practice. Unless it gets so bad that you cannot function, then you can ease up on the practice for a bit, but then get back into it. There are lots of potential side effects and none of them really matter other than as signs that you are growing.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

My head move too,i been having this for quite awhile, even in non meditative state, as long as i allow it and it move, its because kundalini energy arise to your head and it syncronize with the flow of the prana, so the head probably moving left and right just like how the prana flowing.

This exact thing happened to my friend. He just took it as a learning experience that you can get wisdom from within and you don’t always have to read and learn this kind of stuff from teachers. You have a lot of inner wisdom. 

I have discussed my intermittent experience that was similar in nature, but different in magnitude.  While meditating, I would experience the sensation that my back was bending, so that I was 45-70' to the left or right.  Though, when I opened my eyes, my back was vertical.  

No explanation of insight on my part, just sharing a potentially similar experience. 

Thank you all for your input. It was indeed helpful.

I do believe that Leo is right; what I was experiencing were kriyas. If nothing else, the experience provided me with a curiosity that will probably ensure that I will meditate for the rest of my life.

The next step for me will be to experience non-duality directly. I understand it intellectually - as much as that is possible - but I have yet to have a direct experience of it. I wonder if psychedelics is the way to go.