Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Javfly33

Meditation Fasting Retreats

2 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anybody has experience doing meditation retreats of several days while fasting.

This summer I experienced with intermitent fasting up to 20-22 hours several weeks, and I found that starting from the 16-18 hour mark focus and concentration was really improved, so I was wondering if this could be used also for skyrocketing meditation retreats and sessions.

Since I haven´t gone more than 22 hours withouth eating, I don´t know if maybe fasting more than 24 hours would make hunger or stress hormones related with hunger maybe counterproductive in meditation and it just a bad idea though

Edited by Javfly33

The moment you identified yourself with the body you Constructed the whole 'illusion'. If you realize everything that you know is accumulated identity, even the Creation or so called 'Dream' is also another identification. You are not in any place at all, you are beyond any identity.. 

Extended periods of (water) fasting can definitely deepen meditation. The first one or two days can be challenging, but after that it interestingly gets quite undemanding. Of course you shouldn't move too much/stand up too fast etc., and if possible do it on days without any work to do.

First, you have the challenge of the unpleasant physical sensations during the first two days which can help you enter into a deep state of acceptance/letting go already. After that, your body stops digesting and demanding food, so you have much more energy left over in general which, for example, makes it effortless to be in an absorbtive state of concentration for a long time. I also experienced much deeper sleep and needed less hours per night. Even moving around feels light and easy (when slow and in moderation). 

After several days and focused meditation the state of absorption can get quite deep and the now partly detoxed body feels great. This combination can lead to very blissful and insightful experiences.

Now that you mentioned it, I think I will do one of those very soon :)