Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PhilGR

Plato's Republic vs More's Utopia

3 posts in this topic

Which of thoose 2 would be the best society to live in, live with peace and happiness ? Which one is the best landscape to pursue enlightment?What is your opinion?

@Etherial Cat I am talking as people could actually live in such societies and not turn them off. Anyway you have a good point!

Platos republic would be a totalitarian dystopia, with little regard for the individual, political self-determination and free expression. Each of us would from an early age have to squeese into one of platos 3 made up "types of people" and spend our life fufilling the role "appropriate" for our assignes caste. Political power would be concentrated in one absolute bloc, the ruling caste. The majority of us, put into one of the two non-ruling casts, would have no means of influencing this echo chamber of aloof rulers. 

Massive propaganda efforts would make us submit to our "natural place" in society, convincing us that what the ruling caste decrees as idea for the city per definition has to be ideal for each of us as individuals. There would be no room for dissidents. 

I havnt read More, so I have no comment about his idea. 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay