DawnOfReality

The role of Math in the big picture

3 posts in this topic

Hi there!

So, I am still trying to figure out what my purpose is in life, and I am trying to explore a bit various domains in order to see, touch things and try so that I can keep that process of discovery alive (I guess that if I keep asking myself the question "Would I like to ********?" and can't think of an answer that isn't "Idk", this should be my first step).

Nontheless, I am pursuing a degree in Physics that I do not like that much. I decided to finish it anyway, because I have just one year left. But in my studies, if there's one thing that keeps me from completely giving up is Math. I kinda like Math when I do it, but... Whenever I think of a future job or any life experience, Math is not there. I like it, but it is the exact opposite of a life full of good experiences and emotions that I look forward to. It is cold, tends to rationalize everything and I fear the possibility of becoming a cold person if I get myself into TOO much Math. 
So, for example, I was thinking of a possible alternative to Physics, Finance. Finance has much more to do with the living world whereas Physics is on its own, inside labs. But in Finance Math is very well used. Something in my mind keeps me from appreciating it 100% just because Math is in it. 

I thought about this issue (that seems much like a limiting belief in some ways) and it turned out that in my vision of the world, I can't see how Math fits in. It looks to me like an artificial thing, that is detached from the real, warm human life, and I can't see its place in a more spiritual view. 
So I wanted to ask if you could give me your vision of Math related to everything else or some suggestions for books that might give me a better idea of what Math is for the world.

Thank you!

As Leo said in his video 

(@2:42) If you want to be an amazing mathematician you have to love math and get inspired by it in an almost spiritual level.

Can you see yourself like this? If you can, I guess you can then also imagine how you talk to other people about math and have this glowingness in your eyes, that they can see. And you can inspire other people for math, showing them cool things (especially physics has a lot of interesting things to offer), ultimately expanding their understanding of the world.

So yeah, math can exist really good in the "real, warm humans lives".

I dont know about the exact work life of someone working in physics but if you have the superpower to work on something for long periods of time all on your own. Then sitting in a lab and doing math seems like a cool place to be. If you dont like doing that, then maybe collaborate with other people, get a lot of assistants or work on a more "hands on" kind of field. There is always a way and if you really have no interaction with other humans at work, there is still time after work. It can also be a blessing to not have to deal with people at work :)

On a metaphysical level, yeah math and physics have nothing to do with Reality, but so is everything you can study in university from social sciences to economics, to controlling and to computer sciences.

In the end you can have a big impact on the world with physics and I would be very grateful to have a good understanding in physics. But if its not your kind of shoe maybe consider something related like programming or as you mentioned finances.

Do not dabble. Just create a ficitional overall picture using mind map or any flow chart software like Microsoft visio or www.draw.io. For example, link all maths together in a fun way. 

For example make it fun like this, since physics world is made of time and space. There is objects in the space and augmented World. There is matter dimension, energy dimension, vibration dimension

Assume everything is conserved and you are god conserving it.

Your way to handle matter is through the use of Algebra.

Your way of handling time is through calculus and differential equations

Your way of handling space is through giometry and trigonometry and vectors and matrices

Your way of handling vibrations is through Laplace transforms and advanced trigonometry

You can convert matter to energy 

start playing with math and design a mathmatical fun world where you are the god. How do you maintain equilibrium and start connecting all the dots in one big picture.

Play with space using matrices and tensors and deltas and differential geometry and link it to the fictional physical and play along and be in state of flow like you are a god and feel like one and extract the genius in you, i swear its sooo much fun. Play with mathematical equations and mash them together and come with stupid equations and try to solve them whatever it take. Use fourier transform and solve sinosoidal. If you have playstation play city design and then learn forces.

Just make it fun and push your final year.

Edited by Your place at Heart

"Whatsoever is on it (the earth) will perish. And The Face of your Lord Full of Majesty and Honour will remain forever❤️" Quran: Surat Ar-Rahman (The Merciful)

"We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient"?Quran: Suratal Al-baqarah (The Cow)