phoenix666

being mindful/aware whilst studying

29 posts in this topic

I have to study a lot for university.. I feel that contrast between loving to study non-duality and such stuff for myself and hating what I have to study for my exams. but I'll go through it, it's only 1 year left

I've noticed that whilst studying for uni I shift away from mindfulness almost immediately. I get completely lost in frustration, boredom and even some anger. anyone having a good advice for staying mindful whilst having to learn by heart some really 'material' stuff?

thanks in advance <3

whatever arises, love that

I struggle with the same thing, yesterday I discovered the sedona method from Leo's book list. It's kinda amazing how something so simple can make a small but noticeable change.

1 hour ago, phoenix666 said:

I've noticed that whilst studying for uni I shift away from mindfulness almost immediately. I get completely lost in frustration, boredom and even some anger. anyone having a good advice for staying mindful whilst having to learn by heart some really 'material' stuff?

being mindful or aware is just recognizing where your attention is,

study as you normally would and whenever feelings of frustration, boredom, or anger come up just notice how your attention shifts from your studies to these thoughts/ feelings.  by doing this whenever a distraction comes up it can be more of an opportunity to practice mindfulness by tracking your attention and a great way to integrate awareness/mindfulness into your studies or anything else.  allow yourself to just momentarily recognize where your attention is when it drifts from studying, and then guide it back to what you wish to accomplish.

i know this doesn't really address the content of your studies, but if you can, try to offset the the time you take studying material for school with some time spent learning about other things you are interested in.  this way you can sort of reward yourself for being diligent in your uni studies, and hopefully prevent some distraction as well.

hope that helps

- yawning gap

"embrace your inner pain. in hopelessness, you will find bliss. to be mindful all the time you need to have attention on the breath as second nature." - hellspeed

@Aimblack sedona method? could you maybe give a quick explanation to how that works? thank you <3

@yawning_ thank you so much for your advice. it's actually what I'm trying to do. I'm probably too inpatient and need more practice. I'll just try to stay as aware as possible and most importantly to be kind to myself whenever I notice being lost. it's so important to see noticing low awareness as something positive. it's actually a good thing whenever I notice 'oh, I'm so unaware and lost in my emotions'. I have to remind myself of that. let's shine some light of awareness on that frustration ;-) 

thank you <3

you are most welcome! 

yes, be as gentle as nature is!  it is a wonderful thing, you are on the path ;)

- yawning gap

"embrace your inner pain. in hopelessness, you will find bliss. to be mindful all the time you need to have attention on the breath as second nature." - hellspeed

@yawning_ as gentle as the breeze of air on the leaves :x 

yeah, feels like it, it really does. moments of deep peace, love and calmness are expanding and frustrations are becoming rare in my life. studying for exams seems to be one of the last things I have to see the light in and surrender all resistance to.. 

<3

Tbh I'm probably doing you a disservice with my inadequate summary because the most important thing is the context the book gives you but here goes:

1. Acknowledge the feeling/resistance, notice where and how it is.

2. Ask yourself: Can I welcome or at the very least allow this feeling?

3. Ask yourself: Can I let this feeling go ( as in is it possible for me to let it go)

4. Ask yourself: Am I willing to let this feeling go?

5. When am I going to let this feeling go? 

The answer you give to each of those questions isn't that important. The point is to show you that you actually have a choice.

thank you for the summary,@Aimblack  

I tried to ponder upon those questions/inputs. I actually felt myself relax into it more. yes, the choice...I really want to surrender to all parts of reality, also annoying uni-stuff. I hope it will get easier :)

4 hours ago, Artaemis said:

You could try to slow down and savour the energy behind each concept, word and impression in connection to the material. Maybe give yourself permission to prioritize your relationship with the material over efficiency and productivity. 

Tip: I like to savour the energy in bite sized pieces (entry way being non-detailed thought forms), rather than large chunks. Its easier, especially if its something difficult to be mindful with already. 

no, not weird at all. this <3  I think this is what I was unconsciously looking for, not knowing how to verbalize it. 

4 hours ago, Artaemis said:

Make studying a part of your meditation space, rather than an obstacle to awareness. 

this. this is gold, thank you.

I don't know if I can make this work, but the idea inspires me a lot, thank you so much <3

@phoenix666 hey man same it sucks I hate it, it’s an awful experience.

Studying frustrates me, makes me little desperate and my body’s almost rejecting it.

I hate to admit it but it’s the most effective way to buff out the spiritual ego. The emotions you feel is the spiritual ego being dissolved and integrated. So with compassion, just stick with it :) 

Follow me on Instagram for quantum and energetic healing.

1 hour ago, Martin123 said:

Studying frustrates me, makes me little desperate and my body’s almost rejecting it.

oh, I feel you. it really is rejecting on a physical level for me too. my body contracts, I get all tensed up. 

1 hour ago, Martin123 said:

I hate to admit it but it’s the most effective way to buff out the spiritual ego. The emotions you feel is the spiritual ego being dissolved and integrated. So with compassion, just stick with it

wow, you really think so? this is a wonderful way to look at things, thank you :x

@phoenix666 Youre welcome!

I can really relate, its like I am kind of jumping with all the kinds of lovely conscious life I am ready to lead, the peoples lives I can touch, the insights and love to share, and then theres schoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool =D. 

What an irony. School is a great teacher, but it is not because of the lecturers! :D

@Martin123 so true xD all the flowers I stop to admire, the trees I love to observe, every breath I take consciously... so motivated to meditate and contemplate, study about non-duality all day.... and then I have to learn this shit hahaha xD gone is the 'high vibration' xD 

yeah, you're right. I'll observe my resistance and frustration. I'll just patiently watch it until I'm able to transcend it. one day it will be washed out of my system entirely I hope..

@phoenix666 the biggest service the studying is doing is grounding us into the body.

spirituality is a noble pursuit but it makes us ungrounded, and especially as empaths we kind of make see it as a way of finally getting out of this stupidass place ?

8 hours ago, phoenix666 said:

yeah, you're right. I'll observe my resistance and frustration. I'll just patiently watch it until I'm able to transcend it. one day it will be washed out of my system entirely I hope..

I understand the desire to be mindful, and a spiritual significance of it. But at this point it can only act as a way of avoidance.
When you use the word "transcend it" oh I so know what you mean, and it is so not gonna work ever I am so sorry to break these news, but oh well I cant express how compassionate I am of this condition.

Eversince I was a young child, I have wanted to go home, like BADLY. EVERYTHING I did, and everything I desired, be it craving for relationships, sex (which actually freaked me out kind of because I wasnt in the body), addictions, spiritual pursuits, enlightenment, community, university, success, videogames, everything on the deepest level was just out of the desire to GET the FUCK out of this scary ass planet.
There was such a deep deep resistance to the dense energy that I felt in my body around my family and people around me in school that I could NOT deal with that. And at some level it is still a challenge, but now Ive had moments where I dropped down into the body, oh man Ive never experienced this level of depression and Its almost funny when it is the most brutal of reality checks where my consciousness looks at the conditioning going on in other people that I feel inside of me and goes "for real? Like REALLY??? OMG are you SERIOUS?  Noooo this has got to be some kind of joke... REALLY?????? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NONONONONO I refuse to believe this is real. This cant be real right? OH JESUS ARE YOU SAYING THIS IS REAL? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK " And unfortunately this caused me not to be in the body, it was too much for me. And in the past few months I have grounded into the body more than I ever have, suddenly everything feels like its more "real" and more "3D" which is a really weird feeling after my entire life having this weird vague dreamy feeling about reality. 
And when there is the moment of coming into the body, it is almost as if every instinct inside of me is screaming NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not thiiiis, this is insane, and then there are periods of really deep existential depression, my motivation to do anything disppears and these are moments of some complete and utter defeat, feeling as if I lost a battle that I was begging to win from the moment I was born. And in the moment when my ego goes "oh, this is real, I am really coming down to the body" it can be the most horrifying moment. But it is only a stage that gets cleared out, the density in the body gets transmuted over a period of time by the light of your consciousness and then you can actually function better and more happily, people dont affect me as much as they used to, because I realised I only empath the layers of conditioning of other people, that I havent grounded into just yet, once you ground into them and integrate, it becomes the reality of your souls frequency rather than the insanity of the collective raging in your nervous system.

I sincerely hope some of what I wrote makes any sense to you :-) Much love your way man. You got this!

oh, I can relate to what you wrote there very much, @Martin123

specially the everything seems more real and 3D. I like the term everything seems more 'plastic'. it feels more real, but also more flimsy and illusory at the same time. 

how do you deal with all of this? are you working on body awareness and just general mindfulness?

20 hours ago, Martin123 said:

But it is only a stage that gets cleared out, the density in the body gets transmuted over a period of time by the light of your consciousness and then you can actually function better and more happily, people dont affect me as much as they used to, because I realised I only empath the layers of conditioning of other people, that I havent grounded into just yet, once you ground into them and integrate, it becomes the reality of your souls frequency rather than the insanity of the collective raging in your nervous system.

doesn't this sound like some kind of transcendence though? 

much love and thanks for sharing <3

3 minutes ago, phoenix666 said:

doesn't this sound like some kind of transcendence though? 

Well its just an unfortunate term to use in this situation. I tend to be mindful of the language were using because it demonstrates an intention. When you say transcendence it almost feels as if that was an upward movement, like pulling away from the experience, where as the grounding movement is actually moving you towards the experience, towards the suffering, not for it to be transcended but transformed. Can you feel the difference? 

5 minutes ago, phoenix666 said:

how do you deal with all of this? are you working on body awareness and just general mindfulness?

The way I deal with this is in your signature. And his second book of course (have you read it? Its beautiful and energetically charged).
Also its not necessarily an easy way to deal with that. The thing is that I realised I had and have to spend certain amounts of time not being in my body, before I can actually ground completely, and nothing I do can really affect that. We will all ground but when its time for each of us. 
Actually just yesterday I was completely ungrounded the entire day! And I could do nothing to stop that. It is almost as if the parts of me that dont want to be here need a permission to do whatever they want before they are able to surrender and let go, just like a child doesnt want to listen to a parent who is bossing and pushing it around to do things the child actually doesnt want. 
Once you have every right to hate being here and not be in the body, you actually develop the capacity to be fully in your body, does that make sense? 

On the side tho, I remember there was a time when I was freakishly ungrounded and didnt know what to do about it and I needed a quick fix so I could study for my exams, I couldnt even sleep at that point. So I did some grounding yoga, walked barefoot on grass, hung out in nature and that eased the ungroundedness to a degree. It helped the insomnia and I could somewhat focus, so its not like we are completely powereless, there are ways to manage this, but in general grounding into the body is a gradual process because the body needs to heal the emotional trauma before the consciousness can fully enter it.

I remember Matt Kahn describing it as having a kind of allergy to the conditioning of the planet, thats why there can be a lot of ungroundedness, desire to "go home", also I am sure youve encountered rather deep self-hating and self-doubting and judging patterns. That is actually your own consciousness reacting to the density you have gathered from the environment. Its like a bad allergy :D

@phoenix666 Btw I wanna mention something funny that came to me as a vision explaining my experience in the evening :D
It was like I was sitting on the edge of heavens gates, looking down and crying my eyes out realising that I am supposed to go down there but I sooo dont wanna, and then I started being moved out and it felt like I was hanging on by my fingers just BEGGING "GOD PLEASE NO :D NO NOT to earth, anywhere else  but not earth :D", and then there was a sensation as if I was falling down, and a lot of fear came up in the body. 

And today I actually feel like I am being settled into the body more, which is cool.

On 21. August 2018 at 11:30 AM, Martin123 said:

transcendence it almost feels as if that was an upward movement, like pulling away from the experience, where as the grounding movement is actually moving you towards the experience, towards the suffering, not for it to be transcended but transformed. Can you feel the difference? 

actually, I do. and how you expressed it actually matches more with idea I had in mind. words are tricky, specially around this topic.. 

The way I deal with this is in your signature

thanks for reminding me <3

And his second book of course (have you read it? Its beautiful and energetically charged).
Also its not necessarily an easy way to deal with that. The thing is that I realised I had and have to spend certain amounts of time not being in my body, before I can actually ground completely, and nothing I do can really affect that. We will all ground but when its time for each of us. 
Actually just yesterday I was completely ungrounded the entire day! And I could do nothing to stop that. It is almost as if the parts of me that dont want to be here need a permission to do whatever they want before they are able to surrender and let go, just like a child doesnt want to listen to a parent who is bossing and pushing it around to do things the child actually doesnt want. 
Once you have every right to hate being here and not be in the body, you actually develop the capacity to be fully in your body, does that make sense? 

I actually haven't read his books, I've just been avidly listening to him on youtube. his books are on the top of my 'books to order next' list though. can't wait for that. 

no, it's not easy, loving requires vulnerability and faith. there is so much beauty in that. <3

yeah, it makes sense. I've never felt like not actually being in my body, or at least I've never had the need to express it like that. but I think I can compare it with the apathy which plagued me for a long time. and that horrible feeling of being disconnected from everyone and everything.

I feel so much more connection now.

I am sure youve encountered rather deep self-hating and self-doubting and judging patterns. That is actually your own consciousness reacting to the density you have gathered from the environment. Its like a bad allergy

oh hell, yeah, so much. I've lived with so much self-hate and judgement.. it was a very dark place to live life from. I'm so thankful I found the way of self love. it really changes the whole world <3

On 21. August 2018 at 11:39 AM, Martin123 said:

Btw I wanna mention something funny that came to me as a vision explaining my experience in the evening :D
It was like I was sitting on the edge of heavens gates, looking down and crying my eyes out realising that I am supposed to go down there but I sooo dont wanna, and then I started being moved out and it felt like I was hanging on by my fingers just BEGGING "GOD PLEASE NO :D NO NOT to earth, anywhere else  but not earth :D", and then there was a sensation as if I was falling down, and a lot of fear came up in the body. 

And today I actually feel like I am being settled into the body more

wow, sounds like a profound experience. so glad <3 are you still feeling more grounded? 

@phoenix666 yeah, it’s more and more. I feel like it’s a process that’s gonna put me into the body very very soon. Like within weeks/months, able to ground the light into form.

And it was actually in a sense not that profound. I say that because I sometimes get this imagery just to get a feel for what my inner child is going through, so it wasn’t too trippy, but most certainly significant.

And the books I really recommend. Since you’re an empath, I can tell from personal experience no teachings quite make sense like Matts do. I have to say personally there are very rarely things he shares that don’t resonate with me, because there is a very specific way empaths wake up and transform, and most teachers out there actually can’t relate to our experience because it’s so different.

It also makes sense that Matt went through his awakening being guided by spirit guides, because if you as an empath followed a different path of awakening (the ones that are common, like self-realisation and that type of stuff) the awakening would be fragmented. 

That being said you don’t actually need to follow anyone because the awakening is an unstoppable force that’s gonna devour you piece by piece and say Yumm Yumm ? Because it’s in the dna. 

Actually to bring it back to being in the body (and I think this can be sort of generalised to all empaths but I specifically had this as such a deep personal dharma, to make peace with being here), we enter the body fully once the dna transforms and nervous system relaxes.

@phoenix666

I also study in university and the following advice has helped me: 

(A foreword though: I love what I'm studying and feel passionate about it. You can't force yourself to study something you don't like.)

- Whenever I'm tired after a whole day of studying and feel like procrastinating, I remind myself that these are just feelings which evolution gave me, but that I don't have to listen to them because it's in my best interest to follow through and keep studying. 

- Whenever I'm tired after studying every day while on the 2 weeks of final exams period, I remind myself that nothing lasts forever. This is a truly universal truth. I may only wake up, go to classes, study all the rest of the day and then go to bed, but I know that it won't last forever. 

- Remember what you're studying for! You have goals, and following through your studies is your way to achieve that. 

Good luck! ?