Aarron

Battling Anxiety

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

Im looking for some guidance on anxiety. I've had anxiety all my life or for as long as I remember. I had a very abusive childhood but at 16 years old I ran away from home, changed my full name and never went back.

I am now 34 years old and the have felt anxious feelings every since I left home. I mostly feel it in the workplace and it is causing pain and distress. I find it difficult to speak up, talk in meetings, voice my opinions, speak to people in higher positions (feel it intimidated is a big part of thid). I use to think this was shyness but as I've got older I've learned it is anxiety.

I am currently starting out on a self improvement journey and am looking for a little guideance on where to start this process. I've always liked direction in my life and I find I'm looking for the same with my battle with anxiety. I'm looking for someone to say follow this this this and that and then I can formulate a plan. I like a plan to follow. So if theirs anyone one here who could help I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks

Start doing a daily meditation practice it will solve your anxiety situation or at the least minimise it the bare minimum.

45 minutes ago, Baz said:

Start doing a daily meditation practice it will solve your anxiety situation or at the least minimise it the bare minimum.

Thank you Baz. Is their anyone in particular you'd learn from or whose methods you'd follow. I've never tried meditation but it is something I am interested in.

Your most welcome,

Leo has loads of videos on meditation I'd recommend you watch them and start a daily meditation practice. I've been meditating now daily for two and half years and it has transformed my life for the better I got into it from watching leo, leo said in one of his videos do meditation forever until you die that's how powerful and life transforming meditation can be. 

Mindfulness meditation is very powerful and so is learning how to read and listen to your body. 

Please note though you have to be very very serious and disciplined about it there is no point doing meditation half hearted you need to put in a daily practice. When I first started I set a timer for 10mins only until I mastered the 10mins and it took me a long time then only did I start to increase my time. I'm now meditating for one hour. 

Take your time be patient and like I mentioned before check out Leo's videos they are amazing to help you.

Good luck and keep us posted on how your getting on. 

@Aarron I have had some anxiety disorders to battle and some phobias are still hard for me to deal with, so I can relate.

Meditation is a great start and must (there are also some beginner guided meditation apps; like Headspace).  But if you have been anxious for a long period, then it becomes harder to fix anxiety with only meditation, from my experience I would recommend next to meditation; 

Quick Fix solution for moments fear / anxiety attacks, Mel Robbins;

Long term fixes;

Search for root causes and believes, ask these two questions on a believe you have until you hit the root belief (root beliefs are something like being unloved, rejected)

- Why would that be a bad thing?

- What would it mean if that were true?

Letting go of unwanted believes, Sedona Method (I like the fifth way)

Try the Work (very powerfull, one of my favorite methods), Byron Katie

Free worksheet on her website; http://thework.com/sites/thework/downloads/worksheets/JudgeYourNeighbor_Worksheet.pdf

Heal your inner child (very important for a long time solution) by doing innerchild work, my favorite The Completion Process, Teal Swan. Google innerchild, there a lots of other methods.

Book to read; Fear by Osho

There are lots of methods to try, find something you resonate with and stick with it (as @Baz mentioned, be very serious and prepared for some very hard work). Journaling helps to log your process. Healing childhood wounds takes time, and lots of baby steps. Focus on one thing, heal it and then go to the next wound. Start with either something simple to resolve of something what is really holding you back right now.

When it comes to a plan, there isn't a perfect fit for all. Listen to your heart. If you have difficulty connecting to your heart, try youtube channel; Channel Higher Self from Lincoln Gregar.

Good luck with your journey ?