Shakazulu

Ear Training

8 posts in this topic

Whys ear training done with piano and not guitar?

Not quite sure what you mean. Anybody can do ear training , doesn’t matter what instrument you play

@St Clair yea it's true but all ear training coaches I know teach by piano, I've heard the piano referenced as " the singers instrument " 

Hmm, I think it might be because the piano offers us a traditional and simple structure for understanding the diatonic scale and it’s various interconnections. Maybe they are called ‘keys’ for a reason - keys to access the music scale. Or maybe I’m just being poetic ..

Go look into some of the Youtube interviews with Jacob Collier, and you might find a comprehensive answer - he’s a wiz regarding this kind of stuff.

Maybe that's why it posted here.

I had this trouble going on for 10 years of my piano playing experience.

I really wanted this perfect ears. But I did not have it.

I haven't born with it. Not I was mozart. Not I was a beethoven.

They were rockstars of their time.

But was it really? How did I know them? They died like many years before.

The truth is after I really gave up on this fucking ridiciluos thing of having a perfect ear or trying to identify anything played on piano, like for 2 years, I finally got it.

I am not a perfect ear. I still can't tell when you press a key on piano. But I will surely get it after a couple of tries. And nobody really cares about if you really tell a key is A or B.

The problem was I believed what's been shown us via movies or quotes that other people told us. Fuck it. Who cares about perfect ears.

You just gotta go and rock that guitar. After I stop giving a fuck about perfect ear, actually my skills went sky rocket. I started immediately having ability to do almost perfect improvisation any given melody. I can even improvise a fugue at this point. FUGUE dude. And tell you what.

I am a self-taught.

Nobody gives a fuck about a key is B or F#. If you are able to improvise on any melody, you don't have to get it 100% correct btw. Just if you got the melody on some appropriate level, it will still sound a-like. And the thing is your ability to harmonize it. What chords do I really want to have for that melody. And NO THEORY. I DON'T NOW ANY THEORY. Just go with intuition. It will make sense if you just let it happen. I hope this helps to you.

@non_nothing Fully agree bro! I'm self taught as well, and my primary field of music is composing. I see comments on videos of people saying "there's not enough teaching about composition" .. right, because the best composing is intuitive and thus difficult to teach. I never did ear training, but I didn't need to anyway. I play something that sounds good, something that I like, and so I follow that and eventually have a song. I'd say good composing and music in general is grounded in rich life experience. Not theory, not extensive ear training, and not through a tutor or a teacher.