Sashaj

Breath meditation problems and control issues

6 posts in this topic

Hi All

What are some techniques to avoid controlling breath when meditating on the breath?

I have not been able to surrender to the automatic process; as soon as I place my attention on the breath the automation stops and "I" take over. Body scan mediation is what I have done previously but I am trying to learn breath meditation this time around

I have tried focusing on the diaphragm, chest, observing the breath on the lip, nose etc but same problem every time

Also between breaths, when there is no presence of breath for a few seconds, what to focus on if no movement or breath sensation is present?

Thanks

@Sashaj When you are doing nothing, you are meditating. 

Doing nothing means doing nothing inside. Thus, The false "I" disappears. The daily activities can continue... fine

Instead of focusing on the breath, just focus on the center of your being, or sometimes people look at the center of mandalas or chant OM instead. Find what works best for you. You can also practice just letting everything go, the breath, the ideas, how to meditate. Just be with whatever you are doing, go with the flow, allow everything and accept everything to be as it is. This is meditation in itself no matter what you are doing.

B R E A T H E

Thanks @pluto  and @Empty

I have meditated in the “just sit” way before but my mind is very active. I want to learn to focus on the breath and use it as an anchor in my daily life. I have been practising non judgmental awareness of my breath control and seems to be working; less control issues today :)

Hey friend, 

although I also put my main focus of practice on do-nothing/accepting experience perfectly as it is, I find the capacities you can develop through breath meditation (or many other techniques) to be aiding and deepening my practice as well as being a nice to have tool in everyday life. So I incorporate breath meditation as well. 

That being said, there is a recorded 5 hour retreat about an advanced approach on breath meditation given by Shinzen Young and it's free. He adresses many questions including yours, so I recommend you checking it out. I'm through 4 hours until now and my practice and my understanding of it have deepened immensely. 

Just search for Shinzen Young Breath Concentration and you will find it.

Much love to you! 

6 hours ago, peanutspathtotruth said:

Hey friend, 

although I also put my main focus of practice on do-nothing/accepting experience perfectly as it is, I find the capacities you can develop through breath meditation (or many other techniques) to be aiding and deepening my practice as well as being a nice to have tool in everyday life. So I incorporate breath meditation as well. 

That being said, there is a recorded 5 hour retreat about an advanced approach on breath meditation given by Shinzen Young and it's free. He adresses many questions including yours, so I recommend you checking it out. I'm through 4 hours until now and my practice and my understanding of it have deepened immensely. 

Just search for Shinzen Young Breath Concentration and you will find it.

Much love to you! 

Awesome I’ll check it out. Thanks :)