Joyboy

What We Need To Pursuit?

9 posts in this topic

After watching Leo's newest video, 'Why Rationality Is WRONG! - A Critique Of Rationalism', I have confused on what we need to pursuit in life?

We only care that something works, we don't care it's true, so does science. Because we want results.

Then come the battle something works vs something true (absolute works but very hard / almost impossible to achieve in the mean time). So we build up models to achieve results quicker rather than pursuit truth and might get lost.

That is my confuse.

Edited by 7oo13ad

Whatever happens..
The Truth will free my soul

I think that the reason we only figure out how things work rather than what they are is because that is the only thing possible to find out. Also, in science, if something works perfectly then its the truth or you can say that the models and concepts are aligned with the real world. The assumption that there are these absolute truths out there away from our grasp is also a concept inside your head. 

Confusion is a very common response to pondering about post-rational concepts. But what's really important is actually watching your emotions. Why is it a problem for you to think about valuing truth over getting results? Most of the time it's just emotional discomfort. Learn to get rid of that and the thoughts just feel like they have no power over reality.

Wasn´t this just a mindset he was talking about? You can still make models and improove your life through them. Apply rationality but keep in mind that it is just a construction of the human mind. Don´t base your goals and values completely on a rational view on life and lifestyle. That is how I undestood it.

It is funny - and don't get me wrong - I am not anywhere that everyone else isn't, but the truth is we are all where e are trying to get - we just can't see that we are there. The Self does not need to be actualized - we just need to realize that there is only Self and then in a sense we are actualized. But the Self is always there - as the life within us maybe - it is our layers of false identification with the physical world - which is also a form of consciousness but more on that at a later date. We just have to peel the onion and cry the tears until there is no more onion and then there is only Self. Om Shanti. May everyone attain happiness.

@estafarrIt is funny but your statements quite hard to understand sir

6 hours ago, Extreme Z7 said:

Confusion is a very common response to pondering about post-rational concepts. But what's really important is actually watching your emotions. Why is it a problem for you to think about valuing truth over getting results? Most of the time it's just emotional discomfort. Learn to get rid of that and the thoughts just feel like they have no power over reality.

I agree on emotional part. However we have to set priority on understanding (the truth) or, getting (results). Your time and energy are limited. Ofcourse when you understanding the truth your result will be huge, massive impact, but the question is when? 

Whatever happens..
The Truth will free my soul

Although the truth can not be spoken as it has to be experienced - if we know what needs to be experienced then maybe the truth is easier to  ...experience ... if you think about the constants in life - six hours ago when you started this conversation say - what is there that is still constant to now - for me I have watched some TV - read some book - talked on the phone - but throughout all this is the constant - "I am " - if I think back to a year ago - I lived in a different house and saw different people - but the constant was - I am - if I look back to when I was first born - the constant was - I am - the existence of self - "Before Abraham" says God - "I am" - he may well have said - "before the big bang I am" - this is the constant of Self while all other objects around us change - "I am" - never changes - we meditate to experience this "I am" - in it there is peace because it is ever present - never born and never dies - whereas if we associate ourselves with the body - or the mind - then these are constantly changing and eventually die - it is the association with the eternal "I am" which we always are and always have been that is the answer we seek. I can not talk about this any further - it gets to sound a bit ismish - it is really just being - the I am - that we seek. Om shanty - may all sentient beings find truth and happiness. 

@7oo13ad I think what leo is saying is that these models that we create can not be solid and inflexible.  It must flow and be formless, and one must be willing to change them should the circumstances change. Just like Bruce Lee says, be like water... Human psychology makes us rigid and unwilling to change especially if they found something that works good. If we are to improve, we must change that basic attitude of human nature.

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches. 

@7oo13ad Well, working on emotional control is getting results for me. And would probably also make it easier to pursue truth

@Anna Konstantaki Agreed, people who base their entire lives on mental models are kind of stuck in a labyrinth of their mind.