Elektrisko

Is Eckhart Tolle Enlightened?

29 posts in this topic

Just wondering, I have not watched that much of Eckhart Tolle myself, I have just heard about him, and I know that Leo seem to like him.

I know Eckhart talks a lot about just being in the now etc. So is Eckhart Tolle enlightened or is it something else he is talking about?

Edited by Elektrisko

Nobody can say for sure if another person is enlightened, but he seems very much enlightened to a lot of people, myself included. Enjoy his work! My personal preference is "A New Earth".

Edited by Nic

Who Am I to judge? When I think I know, I don't know that I don't know.

"Things don't change when they are understood. Understanding reinforces the intellect (the ego). The seeker has to make room to the meditative state."

8 hours ago, Elektrisko said:

Just wondering, I have not watched that much of Eckhart Tolle myself, I have just heard about him, and I know that Leo seem to like him.

I know Eckhart talks a lot about just being in the now etc. So is Eckhart Tolle enlightened or is it something else he is talking about?

Yes. I believe he IS enlightened. 

He seems to be, yes. I think ultimately it may not matter though, he has helped a lot of people which, I think, is more important than if he is "enlightened" or not. 

So Leo is not right saying that you have to go through all this physical pain and years of siting, I know Eckart lived on a bench for a long time, but it was not like a Zen monk. I forgot about Eckart... 

Eckart had a lot of psychological pain, but haven't we all? A lot of people commit suicide... They don't get enlightened... What did Eckart to have this consciousness shift?

"Things don't change when they are understood. Understanding reinforces the intellect (the ego). The seeker has to make room to the meditative state."

31 minutes ago, Nic said:

So Leo is not right saying that you have to go through all this physical pain and years of siting, I know Eckart lived on a bench for a long time, but it was not like a Zen monk. I forgot about Eckart... 

Eckart had a lot of psychological pain, but haven't we all? A lot of people commit suicide... They don't get enlightened... What did Eckart to have this consciousness shift?

He became aware of what's going on in his mind by doing a self-inquiry when his depression and anxiety took on a new high. "I cannot live with myself any longer", he kept saying. "Who is 'I' and who is 'myself'? Are there two?" Then the shift in consciousness happened. He realized that the mind-created sense of self (ego) was an illusion observed by his true self (awareness).

Just now, Natasha said:

He became aware of what's going on in his mind by doing a self-inquiry when his depression and anxiety took on a new high. "I cannot live with myself any longer", he kept saying. "Who is 'I' and who is 'myself'? Are there two?" Then the shift in consciousness happened. He realized that the mind-created sense of self (ego) was an illusion observed by his true self (awareness).

Absolutely but A lot of people have reached this point, why don't they get enlightened?

I don't think the idea of enlightenment is that hard to grasp. In fact it's so obvious, people just miss it. All it takes is to see the grand picture of reality from a point of no-self awareness.

Here's a simple and fun presentation on enlightenment, and I like his humor :)

Edited by Natasha

On 24 mars 2016 at 1:42 AM, Nic said:

Absolutely but A lot of people have reached this point, why don't they get enlightened?

My point was that to me, he didn't have a choice... you don't decide to get enlightened, as you don't decide to wake up in good or a bad mood, even if you don't have a choice in the rest of your tasks during the day, there are some things, or states that seems that you have more control than others. 

For me enlightenment is like crossing someone on the street and/or could be seen as a part of evolution or just part of life, of nature.

It is not because you look for it, that you will find it. The day you drop the quest to enlightenment, is the day it might strike you with all its powers. It will be at the least expected place and come at the least expected time. 

I believe Eckart didn't look for enlightenment at all and didn't have a clue of what it was in the first place.

Edited by Nic

In the Hindu Advaita tradition they speak about the different Kosha`s (bodies). 

They all need to be prepared for the ultimate enlightenment. Lots of people fail there. There is much more to it then the average meditating guy or girl believes. 

Yes he is enlightened. Instead of making this kind of threads over and over again and wasting this forum with stupid shit, why don't you actually go on google or on his website/youtube channel or get his book...whatever and find out for yourself. There is a bare minimun of responsibility and self-reliance a human being should have, especially a self-actualizing human being. "Is Leo enlightened?" "Is Teal Swan enlightened?" "Is Eckhart enlightened?" "Was Jesus enlightened?" Why the fuck do you care anyway? 

2 hours ago, Henri said:

In the Hindu Advaita tradition they speak about the different Kosha`s (bodies). 

They all need to be prepared for the ultimate enlightenment. Lots of people fail there. There is much more to it then the average meditating guy or girl believes. 

Hi Henri, when you have the time, can you tell us more about it! Maybe open a new thread actually, it seems like an interesting topic! Thanks!

@Nic

There is more info about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Bodies_Doctrine_(Vedanta)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosha

These also come up when talking about astral projection, and the subtle bodies...  In Buddhism there are five:

http://www.dharma-friends.org.il/wp-content/uploads/The-Kayas-Bodies-of-a-Buddha.pdf

I studied both, but my focus was the Buddhist version.  So Henri may have more information than the wiki page in regards to that perspective. 

Edited by SkyPanther

17 minutes ago, Henri said:

@Nic Common Nic, Hindu Vedanta is too massive to write down...:S

Check this out http://www.yogamag.net/archives/2008/dapr08/5kosh.shtml

Hey Henri , is there a good yoga-practice for beginners you can recommend? Some kind of allround-pratice for unison of the different bodys maybe.

I know the "3body-workout"  does this count? 

I´m here to learn, you seem to know some stuff

cheers :)

Hi Falk, the 3 body workout is from Integral Institute, so I guess it`s good. I am a fan of Wilber.

I know about the `Vedanta Society` which you can find also in Germany.

My own practice is with The Art Of Living, widely spread in Germany where it is known as `Kuenst von Leben`. Highly recommendable. 9_9 @Falk

Edited by Henri

@SkyPanther @Henri

Thank you both and sorry for my ignorance, I knew it was something kind of massive, it just sounds massive. It seems like it is exactly what I asked Leo to do as new video actually, the balance and relationship between mind, body and soul... I didn't get any answer...

I get lost with those indian names and it makes it a lot harder to catch the sense of it for me so that is a reason why I don't dig deep into it. Would have been cool to make synthesis of it though. But I guess Leo did it already sporadically in his video.