fireworld

Meditation on the breath, let this be a warning.

10 posts in this topic

I had a hardcore failure with my meditation practice.

For so many months i spent time just letting the mind wander and just being present to the moment.

This went on for over a year, what kept me going? The memory of a meditation experience that I had a long time ago.

A few years ago I did meditation with an extreme concentration on my breath, and that would lead to euphoric states afterwards..

After that I shifted to just being present in the moment and all my results vanished, I did have a few experiences that were a little out of the ordinary but for so long I longed for the experience of being relaxed just like I used to, then i read the Illuminated Mind and everything feel in place.

If you are a long time meditator and not getting good results, try concentrating on your breath and counting it. Try this for 50 minutes for a few weeks and see how it feels.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

Edited by fireworld

@Sashaj 

When I would focus on my breath for 50 minutes every day for a week or so i would start reaching extreme levels of concentration. And as I would be drawing deep breaths during this whole session I would start feeling lighter and lighter.

Eventually I would peak after the session where all of my anxiety, fear and everything else would vanish and i would feel so asbolutely amazing. Not a single shred of fear or anxiety, no bad thoughts, nothing that was draining. My whole body would radiate energy especially from my chest area and my mind would be so sharp it was unbelievable. All thoughts would stop, eventually I would fall into meditative states numerous times throughout the day especially when i was relaxing.

For example before i would fall asleep i noticed how i started breathing in the same rhythm as i would during meditation and would get that amazing alivated feeling.

I then changed meditation practice for "do nothing" and stopped counting and focusing on my breath. All my results vanished for a year, this is why i am back to the old ways of doing this.

Edited by fireworld

@fireworld , I found your post very helpful.

You were very successful with the focus in the breath practice. Therefore, 'do nothing' was perhaps not for you. Maybe it helps people who struggle with meditation in the first place and have not made good progress with other techniques. 

I am certain that fans of the 'Do Nothing' technique will probably tell you that you weren't doing it right or it was actually taking you down the path of the dissolution of the ego, but why ignore the evidence that you have and stick to something that does not bring you illumination or understanding. One year is a very long time to have given it your best shot. 

@astrokeen Yes, you are quite right about that. I just felt that I wasn't doing "real" meditation because i was conciosuly counting 1- 2 - 3 - 3 - 2 - 1 while taking very deep breaths. 

In the illuminated Mind the author who is an extremely accomplished man recommended that you start by focusing in on the breath and that is the "first" step kind of. 

Another thing is that this type of meditation helps me so much emotionally like no other meditation practice ever has. Even forced determined sitting didn't have the same effect for a month that this has in as little as a few days.

4 minutes ago, Feel Good said:

@fireworld You can get the same results (euphoria) by noticing what the mind is doing, like, noticing spontaneously when you're ready that the mind is looking for a better moment that lies in the future. As soon as you notice these movements of the mind the euphoria kicks in instantly. The stresses in the muscles dissolve and wide open space starts to emerge. 

If you can realize wide empty space then I recommend starting self inquiry process in that relaxed state. It's incredible ! 

I have tried something similar to this, but still have not experienced this wonderful state in any other form of meditation.

On 7/26/2018 at 1:03 PM, fireworld said:

For so many months

Its one thing to be patient on the results,  its another thing to be using bad techniques/techniques that just dont work for you. 

Someone posted this link 

“It is important to note that all four styles of meditation will take a person to the final goal of Spiritual Enlightenment. No method is superior to the others. Different people will find different methods more harmonious with who they are. In addition, a person may find themselves naturally moving from one practice to another. But it is important that the chosing of meditation practices is not a decision of the thinking mind. The mind will continually jump from one practice method to the next and never will the person make deeper progress. This is why the person should feel/intuit which method is appropriate to practice or have their teacher select the appropriate method (only a qualified teacher can effectively chose the technique). Then the person should continue to practice this one method, and not be persuaded by the doubting thoughts in the mind”

https://channelhigherself.com/blog/types-of-higher-self-meditation-practices/

I agree with Feel Good.

Also breath meditation doesn't lead to self realization.

Only by addressing awareness alone one will be able to realize the self.

On 29/07/2018 at 5:03 AM, Blissout said:

I agree with Feel Good.

Also breath meditation doesn't lead to self realization.

Only by addressing awareness alone one will be able to realize the self.

Awareness of breath is awareness so why wouldn’t it lead to self Realization?