Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kingroboto

Should i just leave the West be with my kind

3 posts in this topic

At what point should i let go of my ego and admit that as an Asian immigrant in the west, I am fighting an uphill battle? Or do I stay because that is the difficult thing to Do? What im talking about is that despite 20 yrs of living out here (currently toronto Canada) i have no affinity towards the culture here, it's people, the values they hold, etc etc. I'm working on my self and being more open to people in general but then why am I forcing myself to adopt to an environment when i am not tied down here in any way? Am I staying because I'm trying to prove something? Or am I wanting to leave because the grass always seems greener on the other side and I cant get over my low consciousness bias?

I want to stress this is not a race thing Just cultural. Also writing helps me to think so apologies for the rant

You could always do a test run. Go to wherever it is you think you would be happier and just immerse yourself. Give yourself a minimum time frame (6-12 months probably), get a job, a small place, make friends, and when you reach the end you will have better information to make your decision. You might have to work towards the expenses required, but I think the experience would be worth it, even if you decide to come back to the West. 

As another thing to consider, maybe it's not about Asia or USA at all, it's about a choice of lifestyle and the people you choose to associate with.

Give us the list of things you crave and feel you miss because of 'the culture'.