Grandmaster

Your Advices To Improve Learning?

12 posts in this topic

So i've started intensive learning a few weeks ago. It's going pretty well, but questions arised. 

I use videocourses with suggested reading lists. I watch courses, take notes and (if possible) practically apply learned information. If i have some questions, i ask for a help on forums (preferably specialized on given topic). 

Can you give any advice on how to better obtain and process information? 

For people who have mentors: is there something, that can't improve or figure out without them? If no, what are reasons to have one? 

Edited by Grandmaster

Hi mate, can you tell me more about yourself, age, interests, passions, and so on?

Choose things you are actually interested in and can understand, otherwise you are wasting your time. 

Just because someone tells you you should read this book, doesn't mean it's any use to you. 

We are supposed to seek teachers for practical skills - how to create a business, how to build something, where to find something. We are not supposed to cling to our teachers and expect them to tell us how to do everything. 

Teachers come with their own baggage of beliefs and biases, we must be very careful to not absorb them while learning what we actually want from them. 

When you do find yourself needing or wanting guidance from another person, keep in mind a good teacher is not going to be afraid of you surpassing them. They don't want you to be their student forever. In fact, the best teachers want to see you fly past them and move on to better things. 

1. Take concepts 1 by 1

Depending on which kind of learning resources you take, one concept can be one chapter, one video, or one section of a video course, etc. See for yourself, but generally speaking, one concept = 30, 60, or 90 minutes depending on the resource itself. I personally do one concept per day.

2. Come up with a story for "Why ?"

Have you noticed that they always give you a reason for why you should take their advice seriously ? Have you noticed that they always give you examples and stories about the concept being applied in real life ? They do that because it creates a placebo effect, which amplifies the results that you get. Only problem is, they don't know what's going on in your head, they don't know your life, they don't know you as much as you do. This is why you have to find a reason for why this advice is important to you. Here's a good structure for your story "Here's all the crap results I get right now, here's the advice, here's all the amazing results I would get if I applied the advice".

3. Come up with a story for "Why not ?"

One's man trash is an other man's treasure. Where do you think that comes from ? The advice that you get can be extremely useful or extremely useless to different people. Try to imagine a situation in which this advice might be useless. That way, your mind clearly understands what the advice is for.

That's it. Hope this helps.

@Grandmaster I highly recommend books like "Secrets of a Buccaneer Scholar" by James Bach and "Mastery" by Robert Greene which are both focused on autodidactism and mastering any skill or field or career or life purpose. 

Yes , forums and websites like khanacademy, Reddit and CliffsNotes might really come in handy for you. You can also try some youtube channels like In a nutshell Kurzegast, CrashCourse, Life noggin and so on. Depends on the thing. But the internet is really, really helpful.

Better to obtain and process information? The basics. Get enough sleep, make sure nobody disturbs you while learning, get comfortable while educating yourself and love the thing you are learning.

Oh, there's also one more thing, you need to find out the most effective study plan for you. For example, I remember information better if I'm writing it over and over again. Discover what's working the best for you.

Also, watch this video : 

Edited by IndependantKouhai
Added more

On 3/20/2016 at 7:39 AM, Grandmaster said:

So i've started intensive learning a few weeks ago. It's going pretty well, but questions arised. 

I use videocourses with suggested reading lists. I watch courses, take notes and (if possible) practically apply learned information. If i have some questions, i ask for a help on forums (preferably specialized on given topic). 

Can you give any advice on how to better obtain and process information? 

For people who have mentors: is there something, that can't improve or figure out without them? If no, what are reasons to have one? 

people who have been where you are and have moved on to other things can offer you suggestions on how to improve your life, but it is worthless unless you are willing to set aside what you think and believe and follow the advice.  I will offer you some keys to the door of growth and liberation,

One of the most important things is to figure just who and what you are.  What is that source of life within your body, what does it have to do with your being here, are you just another human being or are you something far more important than just a human being with an ego.

You have been programed since the day your mother gave you your name for your body.  How much of what you know is programing and how much is experience based on reality and not a warped perception of life or your false belief system.

How about your beliefs, what are they, are your beliefs governing your life, yes they are, in fact they are making your decisions for you so between the programing and the false belief system your choices are already made for you.  Why do you believe what you do, is there a good reason for making it a belief, do you have any proof that your belief is anything close to reality.  What is the difference in belief and reality.

If you can start with these things, and have a real desire to know yourself, and work out of your programing and false belief system, you have a chance at some real growth, if you have the integrity to do the work, that is complete self honesty with yourself.

@JevinR You can biohack to increase IQ, it really is the easiest way to become a faster learner.

Edited by JevinR

@Jonahjulius It's hacking things to a desired outcome, in case of raising IQ, you would take supplements, adjust your diets, do training programs like Dual-N-Back. There was a site, howtobecomesmarter.org that went down that went into voracious depth into it. It's basically manipulating your body/brain to fit a specific outcome