riplo

All the lonely people

5 posts in this topic

It feels like most people never really think about the sheer size of the existence they exist in.

In much the same way that death is kind of brushed under the carpet in modern culture - and so we spend our lives distracting ourselves from it - so is the sheer size of existence.

Every individual thinks that there is something special about them, and their lives, and are so attached to it. Me me me. They act like this straight in the face of the fact that there are literally 7 BILLION other people thinking exactly the same thing. That number is pretty much impossible to fully wrap your mind around, so culture just flat our ignores it.

7,000,000,000 people and you are just 1 of these, and you act like life revolves around you. Contemplating this puts self obsession into perspective. 

I am all of these people, I am their mind, their body, their toughts, their consciousness, their awareness. The One is in many forms creating the illusion of separation, and in some sense that is beautiful.

@Highest You're right haha, the variety is so beautiful. I haven't experienced absolute infinity, but infinity seems to shine through even now, just from the endless variety of every single object, person, culture, thought - everything.

@riplo I contemplate this alot, but nice to read a write up about it.  Do you ever drive down the road and look into people's cars and think about how their lives and problems are like. It's like an entire universe taking place inside of that car, and once it passes, here comes another.  Then you think this is only one town in one county in one state of one country. It really is amazing. 

Oh yes. Ever since I was little, I've enjoyed letting my mind settle on all the people around me....wondering about their lives and how similar each one's is to mine, despite surface appearances. 

@starsofclay  Yes, that's one of the main things I think about on roadtrips. Each and every car zipping by is full of potential. Every one of them. Thoughts, hopes, dislikes, love, hatred, selfishness and compassion. It's mindblowing when I really focus on it. It's very.....road-trippy. Thousands of MEs going by.

Same thing when I see a teeeeny little 747 up in the sky 30k feet. So easy to miss, but there's so much inside that tiny speck. Hundreds of evolved apes up there, right above me, each with its own interpretation of the universe in their heads and hearts. Each unaware of this little voyeur ape down here, looking up, contemplating them and their contemplations. So simple, so complex.