luckieluuke

Working seems similar to meditation

3 posts in this topic

This is maybe a similar direction of "is football better than enlightenment" topic ;-)

So I probably have mild(ish) - ADHD. Thoughts run wild in my head which can be great fun and creative but I have a hard time concentrating for a longer time. Meditation is excellent for this and I feel such great oneness with reality for lack of better words after meditation (you know the experience)

My work is fun at times and boring at other times, I sit in front of computers every day and test software. At times when it´s boring its because I make it boring, I cannot concentrate. But when I discipline myself and concentrate on one specific task for a long period of time, max one hour (exactly the amount of time i can meditate). Usually, it's 20-40 minutes until I snap out of it. But the feeling is quite similar to when I meditate.

It´s something like the job is not overly stimulating so it´s hard to concentrate, but when i manage I get calm, get into "the zone" and is sooo productive.

Does this makes sense? there are too many similarities to ignore. 

In the end meditation is about getting bored. When the mind gets bored "the monkey in our head" to use a buddhist term gets so agitated and tries anything to get out of the boredom. Get your phone, go to toilet, start cleaning, watch tv etc. I think it might be the ego that knows if it gets bored enough it might die so it desperately tries to get distracted to ensure it´s survival. It really struggles like an animal running from a predator, or a hungry predator who must have food.

So Im starting to view my job as meditation practice. See how long I can focus on what might seem boring tasks. (when i manage the task becomes so fun and the process full of enjoyment)

Can anyone relate? what do you think? can meditation and some sort of work be related by boredom?

Focusing on a single task requires mindfulness on that one task.

Meditation is pure mindfulness without doing anything. If you practice mindfulness, you exercise your focus muscles.

Work and meditation both strengthen your focus muscles.

By practicing meditation, you can improve focus on a single task. It's the opposite of multitasking.

Meditation is the cure for your ADHD.

Edited by CreamCat

I very like this idea that we can meditate even while working. It make it more practical for pursuing a life purpose for me ! :)

I am doing mindfulness meditation and while I am on my computer or doing anything I try to be connected to my thougts, it helps to be in the flow as you said. Evenso it's not always easy while talking or with too much stimulations or motions for me.