Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZenBlue

No Tv For 30 Days!

42 posts in this topic

Day 12 - TV = 0         Me = 12

Had a relaxing day today. Got some much needed rest.

What I did today:

- Worked on an application that I need to file for personal events.

- Played a few video games

- Listened to music

- Browsed this forum

- Watched some YouTube Videos (mainly educational)

Powered By Love

Day 13 - TV = 0         Me = 13

I still have a lot of work to do on myself for my path to self-actualization. I realized though, it is going to be a long and slow process. I have accepted that, because that is the reality of life. Building greatness takes time, and in the end, transforming myself into a better person is all worth it.

After reflecting on my past, I thought about how I used to be so involved with my hobbies when I was just 16 years old. I was building and creating so much, but I discredited myself for a lot of the things I did because I didn't have a strong sense of self-worth. I subconsciously carried both a feeling of arrogance and low self-esteem about myself at the same time.

I didn't appreciate the things I had created, the amount of knowledge and skills I gained, and the hours of time I spent into my craft. To me, it all never felt good enough and that is why I also had tons of unfinished projects. Although, I did have a sense of pride on the few things I did finish, I also was never good at promoting myself and my work. Recently, I have gained a lot more confidence in myself and my abilities than in the past. I still have a lot of work to do, and I will learn to strengthen my self-confidence as part of my journey to self-actualization.

Now that I have cut TV for almost 2 weeks, I am starting to feel more productive again. I can't believe how much more productive I was in high school than I am now. I've always had a bit of a lazy personality type, but if I was having a lot of fun with something, I could easily focus on that activity for hours without taking a break. I used to enjoy doing so many things like: graphic design, web development, flash animation, programming, creating video tutorials, etc... Back then, I didn't believe in myself enough that I could make money doing those things, and I took a long break when I decided to go to University instead and became yet another drone with a business degree. Now, I realize it was only because I lacked self-confidence in myself that I held those beliefs.

I am currently working on side projects using the skills and knowledge I gained doing those things. I am combining it all together and I will keep working on these projects. I know at some point I will be able to turn it into a full time business that will allow me to build the life style that I want to live.

Edited by ZenBlue

Powered By Love

Day 14 - TV = 0          Me = 14

I'm starting to hit the point where it's very mentally tough for me. I have surprised myself in how far I have come at controlling my addiction. 2 weeks without any TV shows is monumental for me. I am substituting TV with YouTube videos, and videos shown around other sites. The things I watch though are mostly educational and I am using the material to gather knowledge and study the principles that will help me in my life.

I still get very strong urges though to tune in to some mindless TV show and zone out. Especially when I go around to places and I see people watching TV I start to think about all the different shows I want to watch.

It's also very difficult sometimes when I'm browsing YouTube and I see all these lists of videos popping up that have clips of popular TV shows. I try my best to tune it out so I don't click and focus on the educational things instead. I also watch some slightly educational, but entertaining type of videos to feed my need for entertainment.

I'm starting to realize I used to feel like I needed to have TV in my life. It was very hard for me to stop watching even though I had so much shit in my life I needed to take care of. I neglected a lot of the things in my life because I was too busy watching TV. My mind was enslaved to it, and I finally got a taste of freedom after so many years.

Side Note: I read an article online that said it would take about 90 days for the “the brain to reset itself and shake off the immediate influence of a drug.”

TV has affected my brain like a drug, so I decided the new challenge is to watch no TV shows for 90 days. Although, I do plan to make a life long habit of cutting out TV, I'm not sure if I can ever minimize it to zero TV in my life.

Source: https://www.duffysrehab.com/blog/how-long-does-it-take-to-break-the-habit-of-addiction

Powered By Love

Day 15 - TV = 0        Me = 15

Today I went to work and I looked through my book of notes that I started for writing down concepts I learned either through educational videos, or things that I read.

What I'm working on:

• Re-programming my mind. We have been conditioned since birth to think a certain way. That is why it is very difficult to change, but through repetition I can re-program my mind to the things that I want in my life. It would probably take several years to have a lasting impact.
  • Getting more knowledge about a lot of different aspects.
  • Getting my finances in order, and cleaning up the big mess I made when I took a massive financial risk that didn't pay off.
  • Side projects that I want to grow to the point where I can generate enough income to transform them into businesses.

It's difficult to stick with my commitment when TV is everywhere, but just being more aware of the potential traps keeps me on my feet.

When I get the urge to watch TV, I watch educational videos on YouTube instead as a substitution method. I am replacing a bad habit with a good habit, which is easier than just trying to eliminate a bad habit.

Powered By Love

Day 16 - TV = 0          Me = 16

Relaxing day today.

What I did:

• Went to a nice park that had a great view. (Almost stepped on a snake that was lying in the grass)
  • Watched a couple of Leo's videos.
  • Went over my daily affirmations.
  • Worked on my side project.
  • Browsed through FaceBook

Powered By Love

Day 17 - TV = 0          Me = 17

Today's activities:

• Went to work
  • Read my daily affirmations 
  • Played a video game for 30 min
  • Browsed Facebook 
  • Worked on side project
  • Watched Leo's video about mastering emotions

My mind is still very disorganized and running around with a lot of thoughts.  I still have a lot of my old belief systems inside of my mind. I have a lot of work cut out for me in terms of making spiritual, and personal growth. I will set aside time to meditate for at least 5 minutes a day, and gradually increase it.

Powered By Love

Day 18 - TV = 0         Me = 18

I didn't post yesterday because I got into a car accident. It was completely my fault and I take full ownership for it. Car had major damage and is not worth repairing.

Day 19 - TV = 0          Me = 19

I made a very stupid and emotional choice today. I let my dad's opinions get in my head and I purchased a lease agreement for a new car I don't really like. The deal was horrible and I knew it was yet I still went through with it. This shows me I have a very long way to go in terms of controlling my emotions, and not letting outside circumstances affect me. This is the worst financial decision I have made in my life so far. I'm upset at myself because I don't know why I made such a stupid decision. I'm trying to just be aware of my negative thoughts and emotions. I want to use this as a learning experience so that I won't make the same mistake in the future.

Powered By Love

Day 20 - TV = 0          Me = 20

• Went to work
  • Worked on my new business
  • Played some video games

Day 21 - TV = 0          Me = 21

I'm feeling calmer today. I thought about how glad I am that no one was injured in the car accident. I'm looking at the positives and am taking this opportunity to enjoy driving a brand new car for the first time in my life. (Although very irresponsible of me financially)

• Went to work
  • Ate dinner and spent time with my girlfriend and her family

Keeping this journal updated consistently is helping me with my goal. So far I don't miss TV, and my life feels very busy, even without it. I don't know how I had time for it before when even now I feel like my time is being stretched.

Edited by ZenBlue