Ryan

How To End Self Sabatoge?

8 posts in this topic

Hey friends!  Been battling with Binge Eating for a long time.  It's Come to the point where I don't even know what's normal anymore in terms of eating habits.  Everytime I'm stressed out, I just go right back to Binging.  It's horrible and feels like an addiction.  How can I overcome this psychologically for good?

There are soo many videos and books about discipline and self control. I'm sure you can find a lot on the internet with useful ideas, but the most important is that everything depends on you. Be strong and have discipline, because you know what is good for you and what is unhealthy. Then why would you act in a wrong way? The keyword is awareness. :)

These videos are very helpful!  Thank you for posting them and sharing links directly to discussions that talk about these issues and how to manage them with awareness.

Just when you have realized that you have this self-sabotage problem and you have noticed it, you have already healed a lot of it. You just need to become aware of your emotions, thoughts that are connected to this issue and just notice them. Instead of living in the self-sabotage, notice that you are in a self-sabotage cycle, you have thoughts that are self-sabotating etc. This will heal you.

@Ryan Hi Ryan. Comfort eating might have something to do with low self esteem, which you will need to get treated professionally for.  Sounds like you are already aware of it yet "it" seems to keep on coming back.

I used to be a smoker and when I gave up I spent two months in a Buddhist retreat at Gaia house in Devon, England. After my first month I thought I was truly off the nicotine. When I came out within 2 days I was craving again.

I went to my local GP and booked a session with a nurse who advised me that I had to catch the "trigger". After doing some research I realised that I had an addiction pattern which came from trying to soothe an emotional hurt. 

So just being aware of the behaviour might not be enough if the symptom has developed into a shadow type issue (addictive behaviour caused by discomfort causef by a pattern caused by a sub personality running the show).

Some problems need an objective assessment in person from a qualified professional, especially if the original cause is buried under layers of intellectualising.

Its a hard question, but I do have experience with gaining discipline over eating. Fasting is the way to learn it. Food becomes something that for you it is not now. This is a training tool in changing how you think and feel about food. Not many people consider this in their lives, we are led to believe that food should be enjoyed and is always available whenever we want it. I am asking you to learn not to eat, give it up entirely. And when you go back to it you will have no choice but to experience it differently. It is part of our education process and develops all types of discipline. Be tough and learn to do the opposite of what your addictions tell you to do.

Sorry for the bump.

Wanted to chime in - I was binge eating and then the weekdays would come and I'm back to weighing my food and counting calories. The trigger was always the same, I'd eat something big then feel guilty, which made me eat more. The first thing I want to do when stressed is eat junk. It's amazing really I'm automatically programmed to want to eat fats/sugar because I've programmed binge eating to being in a dark place

You just need to break the cycle once to see for yourself how good it feels to be in control, you then start enjoying foods more as you don't see it something to be consumed but something to enjoy.