rrodriguez11

Trouble Reading Self-help Books

8 posts in this topic

Hey,

I notice that I don't have a lot of motivation to read self help books.  Every time I start one, I never finish it.  They get unappealing to me.  I recognize I'm the one at fault here.  Any tips on motivating myself to read these books? I know in the long run it'll help but its all about motivation.

Thanks.

I have a similar issue. Consuming information via text can be challenging as it requires more focus than visual or auditory media. Reading snippets of condensed information online is easy but reading a full book can be boring and tasking for your resolve. Instead of simplified summary's you have to immerse yourself in the minutia the particular topic, and that is not always easy. Especially if it is poorly written. But that's where the real gold is.

Try reminding yourself that not only are you gaining good information but your improving your cognitive focus by fighting against the pathway of least resistance. Reading is great for your mind in almost all accounts.

Also, don't feel like you have to read it all in one go. Commit to reading for an hour or more each day and effectually you will begin to make a dent.

I think motivation really comes down to how much you want something, how important it is for you and what your expectations are. Do you doubt the value of the books? Are you expecting instant results from them but find they don't meet that expectation? Are you looking to do self-development but want more direct and instant gratification?

Reading takes time and you may not see the true value of the information until you complete the book. So it's easy to get bored and give up because you can't see the value in the content. Maybe they're not the best, well articulated, books. Maybe your expectations of self-development are unreasonable. Unfortunately it's a topic that takes time and persistence. It also takes a lot of work on your behalf.

Reading a book won't give you the answers, it will only point you in the direction for your own self-discovery. Much like Leo's videos. Many people complain how long his videos are because they don't have the attention or motivation to sit down for an hour and listen to him talk. They want a quick fix. They want information and as quickly as possible. But in this subject that isn't possible. Self-development takes time and comitment to something that doesn't give instant results. Results can take weeks, months or years. And the source of that progress comes from you and not the books or videos. They are just a guide, not an answer to your problems.

So if you want motivation to read the books, maybe the place to start is to look at your expectations of those books and what you are trying to achieve. In a way, this is a self-development hurdle in the outset - it's a sort or personal-development paradox. Needing to overcome problems in the first instance to embark on the development journey at all.

This very problem you are facing is sign of what personal development is about and how hard it is.

Edited by FindingPeace

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

7 hours ago, rrodriguez11 said:

Hey,

I notice that I don't have a lot of motivation to read self help books.  Every time I start one, I never finish it.  They get unappealing to me.  I recognize I'm the one at fault here.  Any tips on motivating myself to read these books? I know in the long run it'll help but its all about motivation.

Thanks.

I can't get into reading them either, I find I do better with workbooks or watching videos.  However, maybe you could turn your current read into a type of workbook.  Maybe pick up a nice notebook (journal) and for each section of the book you are reading, you could write in your journal about how that relates to you and your life, what changes you can make and how that is turning out for you.

I also just use some of my self help books as reference books, in that I don't feel the entire book pertains to me, so I just focus on the chapters that do.

The irony of this topic made me chuckle

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

The reason why we loose interest soon after starting a self help book is because some authors make the introduction very long and boring. Then the theory starts. The really good books are the ones with practical tips. But practical tips are short and few and a thin book won't make for good sales, therefore, it's packed with theory. 

Next time you pick up a book try skipping the long preface and introduction. Try even looking at the contents, then going directly to your favorite part or topic. You don't have to read a book in a linear fashion. 

As soon as you finish a topic you like, go back to the contents and choose another topic. You will feel less inclined to think the way the author wanted you to think and in charge of how information gets delivered to your brain. I choose to keep a few really good books and read them over again as a refresher. I rather read a few books, remember most of it than a 100 books and remember none of it. 

Some advanced readers might disagree with me, so this applies if you're just starting to get into reading. 

Happy reading! 

P.S  - This is why I watch Leo's videos, he cuts most of the theory and gets straight into the how to. 

I have the same problem. Self-help books to me are extremely boring, I've never finished one.

On the other hand, I love videos/short audiobooks so instead of reading, I listen :)

Hi R, 

I continually run into this issue!

Ever heard of top dog vs under dog?  

One part of me says "I should be reading self help books and improving"

But another part seems to be not so into having to do the hard work involved.

Sound familiar?

I'd like you to honestly ask yourself, why are you even interested in self help?

Write your answers on a piece of paper, you can even post them up here (this is really powerful)

After you have done that write down all your objections.

Post them on here if you dare!

Be honest, and look at the spaghetti junction of contradicting ideas.

Notice how you feel after posting them up on here for everyone and yourself to see.

Then have a go at reading another book.  

See what happens.

*PS - Make sure you know who's voicing what, if you see they are all little characters that you thought made up "you" then you're in with a chance.  Honour them all, because they all have your best interest in mind. 

Edited by Nomad