AstralProjection

(Dis)Honesty: The Truth About Lies

5 posts in this topic

Just today I saw a documentary on lies. They covered lies by people (some low profile some high profile), what causes people to lie, the science behind lying, and how we can prevent it. Pretty good documentary I suggest you watch it if you can.

Trailer

(Dis)Honesty - The Truth About Lies Official Trailer 1 (2015) - Documentary HD

Full documentary

(Dis)Honesty: The Truth About Lies | Educational Documentary | CNBC

I think by radically embracing truth as a way of life we gain good very good discernment. Both naturally and even spiritually. Soon I believe that we will be finding the genetics of making a brain more honest and ethical. That will really help. Ultimately I think we still do need some form of dishonesty otherwise how can people fight oppressive governments, and laws. I believe in civil disobedience as a way of making progress and we can't do that utter honesty. So it's a fine line. Thoughts?

Edited by AstralProjection

It all depends on how deep you want to go.

From one point of view everything we say is a lie. 

From another point of view lying is just stupid. Even if it's a "small" lie. 

We can even change perspective and go from not lying to honesty and truth. If we choose honesty and truth, no matter if we hurt others, we will find that it gives us peace. 

It's damn good to speak your mind and not to care about what others might think. 

We can not come to Truth and honesty by walking the path of lies.

There's probably many other perspectives. What do you think?

21 hours ago, cirkussmile said:

It all depends on how deep you want to go.

From one point of view everything we say is a lie. 

From another point of view lying is just stupid. Even if it's a "small" lie. 

We can even change perspective and go from not lying to honesty and truth. If we choose honesty and truth, no matter if we hurt others, we will find that it gives us peace. 

It's damn good to speak your mind and not to care about what others might think. 

We can not come to Truth and honesty by walking the path of lies.

There's probably many other perspectives. What do you think?

Well there is also good white lies. For instance let's say you see someone run from around the corner with a ripped shirt. Then one minute later you see someone else run from around the same corner with a knife in hand. And then the guy with the knife asks you which way did he go? You know that he went to the left. But you say he went to the right. This is a genuine white lie that everyone should do.

So I think why you might lie matters. If I lie to safe a life that is one thing if I lie because I hate someone that is another. I meet someone that said that this lady was lying about her in order to get her fired. Perhaps she wanted to eliminate the competition. Perhaps she did it just for fun, perhaps out of spite, IDK, but I think intention matters to a degree. I know spiritual leaders that say that intention is everything. IDK if I fully agree with that but.

The downside to lying even white lying is that it decreases trust. And trust is very important especially public trust, think politicians, and business men. Even victimless white lies to make people laugh will usually decrease trust to a degree because eventually someone is going to find out that your lying, so this should be avoided especially with the public. For instance telling white lies to women will eventually lead to them finding out you lied about something then they will loose just a little bit of trust in men especially if enough men do this type of thing, like a pick up artist would do.

Those are my thoughts on this for now. Thanks for chiming in cirkussmile.

Edited by AstralProjection

Also let's say we genetically engineered babies then people to always tell the truth. Then people in repressed countries couldn't force change. Think of the news reporter that is questioned by the police and then the reporter would rat out one of their sources that was exposing the government. Such a country couldn't fight repression by their government. So genetically engineering people that can tell the right kind of white lie will be an extremely hard feat to accomplish anytime soon.

In your example about the man asking for direction, I don't see that as a lie. I see it as good action to stop violence. Your intention is to safe life's (both the man and the victim) 

It's impossible to say before hand what Truth or lie is because it always change and therefore it would be a disaster to genetically engineer babies. In fact, we are already perfectly program for Truth and also for freedom which means choice to stay with Truth or not.

Our actions, in the moment, with right intention, can never lead us in the wrong direction.