Jacobsrw

Self Debilitation

3 posts in this topic

A friend Iv been living with for several years now has made a major shift in lifestyle over the last year which has seen things with the household and surrounding experiences change. Specifically my intereactuin with him.

He has converted to Islam to my knowledge. I do not see a problem with this, though I am cautious in conversation as sime things are not taken as lightly as others. He use to produce music and be heavily into the hip-hop scene, drink, party etc. and now doesn't touch a drop of alcohol, listen to music or dance. Rather he now has very structured morale and ethics on society. I'm happy for him but also concerned as it can be hard to conduct conversations at times. I have had beautiful conversations with him and very dysfunctional ones. His nature can be so kind and caring one moment then so hateful and domineering not long after. I steer away from debates, though his heavy political ideologs that he brings to almost every conversation urge me me to respond and make unnecessary comments at times. I still feel heavily ego influenced in conversations and experience triggering in some conversations.

The main issue here is that I've been finding quite a debilitation on my sense of self recently and how I perceive things and interact. Usually this would not be of so much concern but recently things have changed. I sometime notice his strong morals and views have rubbed off on to me when I initiate in conversation with others and do certain activities. I feel like my sense of self is being manipulated into questionsing my own processes too irrationally. I usually have clear trajectory on my views but of recent it's been a little unstable in interaction with my friend, which is harming many other areas. I would lastly like to note I am dealing with health issues on my immune system which is causing fatigue anxiety and chronic bowel issues. 

my question is how does one interact with individuals highly dogmatic and irratic? He is quite smart in conversation and can use manipulation in language well, I feel compelled to respond when I know I shouldn't. Sometimes I feel the urge to deconstruct his views but I know that is ego so I avoid this at all costs. Should I make grounds clear on no unnecessary conversation for now or is there a method of conversation with highly ethical, political and moralistic individuals?

Edited by Jacobsrw

That is the plan in the coming months. Though I look at him as a good friend and would like to have healthy interactions without the concerns of bigoted agenda coming into conversation. Do you have recommend any conversation tactics for when this happens?