Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Maynor

Is this Science or Rhetoric -- Exploring the Arrogance of Psychological Explanations

9 posts in this topic

Narcissism is related to fragmentation which is related to psychological time. You see that? ?

He’s talking about how resistence ‘time’  prevents freedom to engage in self learning or a capacity to listen to others. 

This relates to what we were talking about in the Byron Katie topic. In that freedom from time ‘narcissism/fragmentation’ makes for unbiased non partial attention to what is  actually happening. Therefore their can be no moving forward. 

Do you see the connection between these two topics? 

Edited by Faceless

The thing that needs to be understood/comprehend is to go into what is the root of narcissism/fragmentation. In order for this to happen psychological time ‘the self’ must be abandoned temporarily in order to investigate honestly. Then understand the nature of thought which is the root of all psychological problems and thoughts in relationship to the self. If you understand very deeply yourself ‘the nature of thought/the self ’ in that understanding one ends all such patterns in the conditioned, fragmentary, and divisive movement of psychological time. 

I went to therapy before and for me this didn’t get at the root. For me personaly depending on a therapist would not have sufficed. I suffered tremendously. Abused physically and mentally from my childhood and up until about 11 years of age. 

I lived with suffering throughout most my life and can say from experience that it can end instantly when thought/self is understood very deeply and time comes to an end. 

Great vid to show people @Joseph Maynor

This is a good way to spark interest to explore  the fact of narcissism and fragmentation:)

Edited by Faceless

You don’t need to studdy psychology, learn about psychological concepts or anything like that. Just studdy yourself. I don’t recommend being taught this personally as you need to see the facts in yourself. 

How I see this video in light of the title "Is this Science or Rhetoric -- Exploring the Arrogance of Psychological Explanations".

Some preliminary definitions. This comment is my narrative weaving. The guy in the video also has his narrative. Science is the narrative that holds up to very high standard of verification. Rhetoric is a technique of creating narratives so that they are more persuasive.

The narrative of this guy holds up at least in that it allows him to do his job. And also allows him to provide a feeling of insight in people listening to him. It is arrogant in a sense that psychology is a handmaid of current cultural narrative. Some people in current times who are vied as damaged would be saints or god's fools and have high position in medieval times. And conversely some people who are admired now would be viewed as sinners and persecuted. Society as a whole tries to maintain a consistent narrative of reality and hold itself together. But reality is really complex, it is very hard to do that, there are infinite number of specific unique situations ans so on, so that arrogance is understandable. It doesn't mean that psychology is not useful.

Psychology of the i is not something abstract. It is a fact that you can observe in yourself.  It should not be regarded as concept and theory. The psyche and thought are one. These form the self.

Their is learning abstract theory and there is observation of facts in ones self. I’m sure you see this?

No need to study abstract theory what so ever I’m dealing with personal psychological problems. You are your own book of facts. Facts may be correct or incorrect but they remain facts never the less. 

Edited by Faceless

If we were just dealing with abstractions being philosophy, theory, conceptualizations, this topic would  belong in the self actualized forum. 

You know:)

Edited by Faceless

Narcissism is the root of Enlightenment.