Monkey-man

Love and Hate: why it is interconnected?

2 posts in this topic

If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. . . . Any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple. (c) Jesus

Love your neighbour as you love yourself (c) Jesus

Love-Hate must be something metaphysical and even cosmogonic. 

Do you have any good hypothesis why love and hate are interconnected?

I can't find satisfying enough answer.

You have to take the phrasing with a grain of salt because we're talking stories that were potentially written far after suppose events occurred (assuming they did), then rewritten many times and then translated to another language. Might not want to get hung up on the word hate.

In this situation my assumption is that he's not talking about the emotional passion of hate, but more a kind of 'rejection'. It is the kind of "hate" that results in surrender and renunciation because you realize the impotence and harm that comes with attachment to the world. 

12 minutes ago, Monkey-man said:

Any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.

That's probably more the heart of it. You have to 'hate' the illusion that any of these relationships are truly substantial in comparison to the aspiration for God, or whatever Jesus was pointing to.

Replace the word 'hate' with 'see through the attachment for' 

like a disdain for any fixation that is not directly upon the realization of God

Edited by Arman