JKG

Self-actualization Equals Enlightenment?

9 posts in this topic

I always have been confused since I was introduced to enlightenment. Why should I work on anything as soon as I am enlightened? Why should I try to self-actualize when I am a state of perfect bliss all the time?

When you are enlightened you are totally happy and content all the time. Isn't his everything a human being need?

One the other hand you can work hard to self-actualize. And at the end of the process you are totally happy too.

So isn't enlightenment and self-actualization the same? Or would someone become self-actualized by getting enlightened, and the other way around?

Be careful with such judgements. You most likely won't stop doing things when you are enlightened. Look at Tolle, he writes best selling books and goes to Oprah. And he is enlightened...supposingly...

Don't assume anything about enlightenment, just keep on self-actualizing and listen to Leo. 

The answer is no. Enlightenment and self-actualization are not the same. Enlightenment is above self-actualization :) 

It's not so simple in practice. Self-actualization work leads one into enlightenment work. Then after a few enlightenments, you come back down into everyday life and you still have psychological baggage to unwire. This is where true self-actualization only begins. Then you spend the rest of you life growing deeper and wider, mastering and basking in life.

There is no end to self-growth if done properly. You grow until you're dead.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I sometimes wonder how people acquire the deep (or not so deep) wisdom that there is no meaning to life anymore after enlightenment. "All is known". Haha. It is after your first Samadhi experience that you realize that you don't know shit. And life begins to be a "mystery" (a wonderful one).

How would any of them, who think that there is nothing to do after enlightenment, even know about enlightenment, if all the previously enlightened beings just decided that that's it and wouldn't have shared their knowledge, their experience?

~ Chris

Once you had an enlightenment experience you'll realize self-actualization and personal development work is important to get there and also be stable. You'll never stop learning and like Leo said, you grow until you're dead.

20 hours ago, Sleepwalker said:

The answer is no. Enlightenment and self-actualization are not the same. Enlightenment is above self-actualization :) 

How can you know?

17 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

It's not so simple in practice. Self-actualization work leads one into enlightenment work. Then after a few enlightenments, you come back down into everyday life and you still have psychological baggage to unwire. This is where true self-actualization only begins. Then you spend the rest of you life growing deeper and wider, mastering and basking in life.

There is no end to self-growth if done properly. You grow until you're dead.

I always thought that as soon as you became enlightened you have accepted everything, and you live in peace with reality. How could you have still psychological issues? That is neurotic. And why should I still want to grow? Isn't that contradictory to the idea of enlightenment? If there is no ego, who should do the 'self'-growth?

@quantum I actually don't know it in practice, but Leo explained it in one of his videos, I don't remember what it's called. He talked about Maslow's hierarchy of needs and mentioned that there's a stage beyond self-actualizaction, which is enlightenment. And even that isn't the final peak of the pyramid, because there are different stages of enlightenment. I don't think that the "peak of the pyramid" even exists.. I guess that our potential is infinite, that we always can grow more. ;) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptkH0uK1uXM

This should help you understand. I could also say that you have no idea what enlightenment, you have your own image of it but remain ignorant to what it actually is. This clip will give you a slight increase in understanding:

Also, why on earth would you worry about what to do after enlightenment? Why not actually get to that point and then wonder what's next? Does a basket-ball player worry about what he is going to do after he wins the championship? NO! That is stupid, he prepares himself for the challenges ahead of himself and puts everything he got into overcoming whatever challenges he faces until he actually achieves the championship.

Edited by d1ajax

What you resist, persists and less of you exists. There is a part of you that never leaves. You are not in; you have never been. You know. You put it there and time stretches.