Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LinLin

How To Handle Coworkers Negativity

7 posts in this topic

Hello!

I would like some advice on how to handle coworkers' negativity. Since I started listening to Leos talks about a year ago, I have noticed that almost everything coming out of my coworkers' mouths are complaints, judgements on other coworkers/people in general and overall negativity. I try not to respond to the negativity, or at least not to confirm it, but sometimes I can't even join in on a conversation revolves about expressing negativity about something/someone. I also share room with one coworker who by far expresses the most negative emotions in the whole office and she loves to gossip about other coworkers. Since I try not to indulge in gossip, complaining, judging and so on my responses are sometimes limited to nodding/shaking my head or saying stuff like "mmmmmh", "aha", "I see", "okay". I usually put my headset on and listen to music if it gets too much. Does anyone have experience with similar situations in the office and do you have any ideas on how to handle it? I would like to improve the overall atmosphere around the coffeetable and get nice conversations going, but when I try it doesn't take long before the conversation has turned into expressing negativity once again...

Skillfully.

The good people will support you.

The hopeless people will make you more determined.

And the people in between are the ones to make you aware where you have to improve your skills and knowledge.

Edited by Henri
totally wrong word

I know your struggle worst thing about gossiping is, if you don't take part in it, the fuckers often start gossiping about you.

For me the best option was to detach myself from this social kindergarten, play a neutral role and if somebody fucks with me i confront them 1:1, because changing them is not working, they are stuck in their own behavior and by pointing it out to them you just isolate yourself further. But nevertheless, this is a very good chance to practice equanimity, if you learn to not get touched by the negativity, although you are confronted with it the whole day, there will be guaranteed growth.

I'm not going to confront them about their negativity because I'm also quite convinced that it wouldn't be recieved well. I have noticed that outside my "bubble" of personal development and yoga practice, people aren't interested to improve themselves. They just want to complain but not do anything about the situation. So yes, I am getting a lot of practise in handling it :) Some days it gets too much, which is when I just sit with my headset on and don't join in on the coffeebreaks. Other days are not so bad and then I socialize with my coworkers. Luckily I have a rich life outside of the office so I don't get to influenced by my coworkers. But I wish I could get them to open their eyes somehow... 

59 minutes ago, Locooig said:

I know your struggle worst thing about gossiping is, if you don't take part in it, the fuckers often start gossiping about you.

They do either way. If someone is gossiping about someone else to u, u can be sure they are gossiping about u to other people.

--------------------

One can try to respond with positive stuff or just dont respond much.

24 minutes ago, Fishy said:

They do either way. If someone is gossiping about someone else to u, u can be sure they are gossiping about u to other people.

--------------------

One can try to respond with positive stuff or just dont respond much.

I am aware of this. But not playing the game at all will add suspicion, i guarantee it. :)

1-Respond negativity by positivity: you must be very positive about their negativity.if they want to fool you,you must accept their lies even if you think they want to abuse you. life would fix the circumstances for your benefit.

2-focus on work instead of them