Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mohdanas

Yoga Question

8 posts in this topic

I am looking to integrate yoga for health benefits to body, mind, emotions. To purify my chakras, release tension, build energy and stay fit.  And lastly, for awakening. ( Though this is not a urgency, What I want is to build a regular habit of yoga 60 min for health benefits primarily, then awakening as secondary)

So my questions is, 

Would Kriya yoga be enough for all of my primary health related needs? Or, do I need to integrate hatha yoga into the practice? If so, then can anyone suggest a book on hatha yoga practice that I can integrate with leo mentioned kriya yoga practice book?  

The following are the book I searched as being most popular yoga books, which one you guys suggest for my needs? 

- Yoga Sutras by Patanjali

-  Light On Yoga By B.K.S. Iyengar 

- Yoga Anamoty Leslie Kaminoff 

- The Heart Of Yoga by T.K.V. Desikacher 

- Yoga By Eric Schiffan         

"yoga sutras" by patanjali and "hatha yoga pradipika" are really the classics you should master :) 

Edited by moon777light

Only book I can comment on is  Light On Yoga By B.K.S. Iyengar. While it's a classic and a total book on Iynegar's yoga, it's not probably that useful for beginners. It reads more like a reference guide for more advanced yoga practicioners. If you aren't very flexible and already familiar with hatha yoga or something similar, most of the practices there will be out of your scope.

I would just recommend these: 
http://isha.sadhguru.org/5-min-practices/

38 minutes ago, moon777light said:

"yoga sutras" by patanjali and "hatha yoga pradipika" are really the classics you should master :) 

Alright, guess I will buy these and explore whats inside. 

36 minutes ago, Clown said:

Only book I can comment on is  Light On Yoga By B.K.S. Iyengar. While it's a classic and a total book on Iynegar's yoga, it's not probably that useful for beginners. It reads more like a reference guide for more advanced yoga practicioners. If you aren't very flexible and already familiar with hatha yoga or something similar, most of the practices there will be out of your scope.

I would just recommend these: 
http://isha.sadhguru.org/5-min-practices/

Well, I am overweight so I guess its a no for me :P

@mohdanas You might like Sadhguru's yoga. He also has several programs of Hatha yoga which dovetail with his core routine. It get the sense that is more health-focused than awakening-focused, which is why I went with Kriya.

You'd have to go and get initiated and trained in person. You cannot get it from a book.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@mohdanas You might like Sadhguru's yoga. He also has several programs of Hatha yoga which dovetail with his core routine. It get the sense that is more health-focused than awakening-focused, which is why I went with Kriya.

You'd have to go and get initiated and trained in person. You cannot get it from a book.

I have been watching his videos on and off, and have read his book "Inner Engineering", I am a very skeptic guy and it really takes alot to convice me of something, this is probably why I have started to follow you. As, I realized that you don't buy things at face value even though if it is shinning brighter than gold, you investigate various sources and contents on a common topic before forming your conclusions, thats what really draws me to respect you. 

Well, if you vouch for this guy then I will attend one of his program in the coming months. :D

@mohdanas If you are that skeptical, yoga may not be right for you. You are not ready yet.

There cannot be deep spirituality without utterly radical openmindedness.

Yoga is not a rational system. It will make no logical or rational sense. And you must be okay with that for many months as you carry on your daily practices rigorously.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

20 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@mohdanas If you are that skeptical, yoga may not be right for you. You are not ready yet.

There cannot be deep spirituality without utterly radical openmindedness.

Yoga is not a rational system. It will make no logical or rational sense. And you must be okay with that for many months as you carry on your daily practices rigorously.

I am skeptical and confused about various practices but not yoga or spirituality itself. I know, I will be alright after giving it time, reading, experience and practice. I am definite that I want to do it, unsure about exactly what given the enormous amount of options and the direction were I want to take my life to.