Jacobsrw

Techniques and Insights on improving Meditation

6 posts in this topic

I've been on a meditation journey over the last 6-7 months, although only being more regularly of recent.

I've been struggling with patience and time progression during meditation sits. Even though the time spent is quite pleasant I the have tendency to keep meditation quite short and interrupted due to time checking and slight position rearrangements. Interruptions ranging between every  5-10 min averages. All up sits are roughly 20 min durations. Along with a fairly cluttered mind. I understand the importance of embracing the experience rather then trying to control it. I would like to get to a place of less mind clutter and a lot longer sessions. I'm just curious if there is anyone who has had the same troubles and how they improved their progression? Techniques or good habits to apply? Thankyou in advance!

it depends on the meditation, but generally, the whole point of meditation is to gain control over your mind, to catch your thoughts and not let them control you. set yourself not to move during meditation even if its uncomfortable and to not check the time.

14 minutes ago, Jacobsrw said:

I understand the importance of embracing the experience rather then trying to control it

in case of mindfulness meditation or breath awareness, or most other meditations other than "do nothing" really, you HAVE to control your mind, setting your awareness back on the breath or whatever your concentration object is. thats why you're having troubles, you're misunderstanding "let it be".

in case you did a meditation which doesnt require concentration, because of your description I would change it to a concentration one, like breath awareness, just to stop being a slave to your mind.

a tip: whenever you notice a thought popping up like "i need to check the time" or "i need to rearrange my seat" come back to your concentration object, that's how control is gained over the mind.

a book i strongly suggest reading is "conquest of mind", a really good book that changed drastically my view of meditation.

@Viking thank you for your insight. I have been aware of concentration meditation for a fair while now but was worried it may orientate too much mind while meditating. I thought that may be a more advanced technique for one who has first understood the "no manipulation" meditation that I first spoke of? Have somewhat tried repeating a mantra.  Definitely have been interested in diving into the technique properly. 

@Jacobsrw I would start back at scratch, and try to go 5 minutes without moving a muscle or checking time. Get a meditation timer app on phone (or just any timer) and set it for 5 minutes, so that it will tell you when 5 minutes is up. Then, being very proud of yourself for accomplishing that, go to 10 minutes. If you can't make it 10 minutes, go to 6, then 7, etc.  Like @Viking said, it could be a concentration issue.  Your first post reminds me a lot of my issues

2 hours ago, Jacobsrw said:

@Viking thank you for your insight. I have been aware of concentration meditation for a fair while now but was worried it may orientate too much mind while meditating. I thought that may be a more advanced technique for one who has first understood the "no manipulation" meditation that I first spoke of? Have somewhat tried repeating a mantra.  Definitely have been interested in diving into the technique properly. 

concentration is the most basic and widespread meditation method. the "no manipulation" technique is a very tricky one and is actually the more advanced one.

Thanks guys. Much appreciate the feedback. Been now using a timer which helps. Along with trying to focus on something. I'll move to no manipulation meditation overtime ?

Edited by Jacobsrw