StephenK

The prevalence of 'personality' in enlightened beings

26 posts in this topic

Thanks for the responses. So I take it then that even though the ego has been dissolved, its remnants live on, assimilated with the body/mind, like faint echos, giving rise to  the appearance of personality. If this is the case, then it appears ego will forever leave metaphorical scars or imprints on ones personality.

@StephenK You're still conflating ego with personality. They are just not as related as you assume.

Personality is not a scar of the ego. It's got its own source. Of course ego can distort personality a lot too. And personality will inform how the ego acts out to get its needs met.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

@StephenKThey are just not as related as you assume.

So you acknowledge they are related, but the degree to which I see them as related is far too extreme? Would you deny that living for decades under the ego construct will color ones personality (how they manifest to others), even though ego has been liberated? I am a highly introverted person (largely due to personal experiences during childhood) -- if I ever became enlightened, would that conditioned introverted aspect of my nature disappear?

@StephenK As with most relationships, it's always more complicated than people like to make it.

Yes, they both affect each other to some degree, but it's difficult to quantify. The mind is an extremely complex system with thousands of variables at play.

Generally-speaking, enlightenment alone will not cure you of your neuroses. Those need to be worked on specifically. But with introversion/shyness, enlightenment can make a big difference. It may not cure you completely, but it really helps when you realize that there is no such thing as "inner" mental life. Enlightenment sort of kills your inner world, throwing you out into the "outer" world (which is sort of like extroversion). Although don't mistake that with gaining social skills or becoming a good conservationist or even liking to be social. If you're an introvert, you will still probably be that way after enlightenment. The difference might be, you're no longer crippled by social anxiety or shyness so much, and you're not as inhibited or self-conscious.

Generally speaking, you shouldn't wait for enlightenment to fix your mental problems. Start working on your mental problems now, alongside doing enlightenment work. The two will synergize.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 minute ago, Leo Gura said:

@StephenK As with most relationships, it's always more complicated than people like to make it.

Yes, they both affect each other to some degree, but it's difficult to quantify. The mind is an extremely complex system with thousands of variables at play.

Generally-speaking, enlightenment alone will not cure you of your neuroses. Those need to be worked on specifically. But with introversion/shyness, enlightenment can make a big difference. It may not cure you completely, but it really helps when you realize that there is no such thing as "inner" mental life. Enlightenment sort of kills your inner world, throwing you out into the world (which is sort of like extroversion). Although don't mistake that with gaining social skills or becoming a good conservationist or even liking to be social. If you're an introvert, you will still probably be that way after enlightenment. The difference might be, you're no long crippled by social anxiety or shyness so much.

That makes sense. Thanks.

On 2/19/2018 at 5:56 PM, JustinS said:

Starting at 2:35

This is an excellent book. I have read it at least 4 or 5 times through and return whenever the Dukkha Nyanas are hammering. Really was walking from one side of the room to another for hours for a few weeks, intentions did not connect to actions and they were disjointed. I had no initiative and suddenly all purposeful since of ambition for personal projects died. It has never returned with any of the spirit of its former vigor (and now personal ambition is seen as just a 99% stressful mental factor, choice). Many spiritual teachers just don't prepare us for the rapid renunciation that can occur post direct consciousnes/Insight. The "uncensored" part of this work really speaks with specificity to this. I was helped greatly the first "empty cup" run through the pages of this short book. This book kicks ass.  

I bought into a lot of content floating up a few weeks ago and was a big asshole on several topics I wantonly hijacked on here. I hope any hurt feelings can forgive me. I give not a damn about any reputation, and luckily there isn't credibility to ruin. I'm just like all the rest of you guys. It would suck to be on a Leo sized platform. Enlightenment threads thru a lonely needle eye already. Productive thread idea...