drelamore

One second enlightenment experience?

7 posts in this topic

So i remember one time 3-4 months ago i decided to watch Leo's: "Enlightenment - Part 3 - Creating An Experience Of No-Self" video again, just to see if anything happens now that i had  established a 30 min. meditation routine at that point in time for the past 2 months or so. What happened was a really weird and nothing-like-it experience which felt like lasting 1 to 2 seconds.

I managed to completely relax my body, it was very easy for me to accept the instructions Leo was giving in the video and i literary reached a point where my mind was completely silenced (or so i was able to notice).

At that point i was starting to feel that everything i knew about myself, didn't exist anymore and while this was happening, Leo was asking what the colors in your closed eyelids are. Then it happened...

A BIG question mark arose within me, like a felt the real fabric of having a question, it almost felt like i was a 6 year old kid and had a question! And when that question mark arose, i felt like i gained mass all around me, like i wasn't my body only, i was an orb! This orb exploded almost like arm length (that's how i felt it) and immediately started coming back to me and felt like i was my body again. At that point i have to mention that i started to have a little amount of monkey chatter, which at that point i didn't have AT ALL( as i said, i felt my mind completely silenced).

Now, i'm VERY sure that i didn't fell asleep and i didn't move my body because i have done those things before and i am sure that i haven't felt anything like it before. So what was it? and if it was an enlightenment experience, why didn't it last longer?

P.S. I wanted to recreate the experience so bad that for the next month i was doing that guided meditation everyday in addition to my meditation routine, but unfortunately nothing happened.

I had a 1 to 2 second enlightenment experience many years ago and I can identify with the desire to recreate the experience so bad. I asked a friend of mine that is a regular meditator,  why didn't I just stay in that state? It was amazing and beyond anything I could have imagined. She said something like it takes practice, and habit, because we are already so used to the afflicted - "ego" state that we will just fall back into it, unless we make effort through meditation, and continue to connect with this enlightened state. So that was her opinion, it makes some sense to me.

BTW in case you are interested I will tell you exactly the meditation I was trying when it happened. You sit and pretend you are an observer, behind your thoughts. You let your thoughts parade through you head, and you pretend you are just sitting and observing, and try not to judge them. So be the non-judging observer.

Also personally I'm trying to let go of any attachment to new experiences, and let things come as they may. 

I'll give my two cents on this one :D 

Let's say we were all blind. All humanity. And then some of us suddenly got to SEE! 

Once you have SEEN, you cannot forget....but you also don't know how to get back to that place. 

Most enlightened people have gone through the dark night of the soul before they were enlightened. It just happened to them as if by miracle. 

What Leo is also explaining in his videos, is that you need to lose the image you have of you, as those people lost everything they were associated with. 

SO, when you have nothing left to cling to, when you feel you are going to simply die, there is this light, this lack of striving, this abandonment, surrender of all you knew about yourself.. this is when you SEE 

:) 

In my view, enlightenment requires complete surrender and trust. It is BEAUTIFUL :) 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

Though these are just ideas take them as you will don't get too hung up on the experience and try to take away that there are and could be more experiences similar to or maybe vastly different than the one that you have had if you get stuck on the one experience trying to recreate it you will be doing nothing towards actually obtaining another similar experience the attempt to recreate is just another part of the ego saying that you have control to recreate it just try and let it be i think you are on the right track though

I've been studying on enlightenment and I've been practicing for several years now. A couple of years ago I was doing an Adyashanti guided meditation. There was a moment, when he said to look at the body, look at the thoughts, look at the emotions. I realized that "I was not them". And then he said "look at your beliefs - you are not them" and also something like "you cannot be what you see".

And in this moment I have experienced something interesting.

I 100% clearly realized that the only thing that "I" can do - is to be. I cannot see "I". I cannot find "I". I cannot lose "I". I cannot experience "I". I - can only be. It is literally the only thing "I" is capable of doing - to be. It also cannot be something. And it cannot "not to be". I = to be. There is no choice or alternatives. "Not to be" is not possible.

Actually, I've mostly forgotten that experience. I do not think that this was some kind of "1 second enlightenment". Just wanted to share something I find interesting...

Edited by Naviy