Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Andre Quinonez

Psychedelics and schizophrenia

3 posts in this topic

So I come from a family that has a history of mental illness. My uncle was diagnosed with paranoia and schizophrenia, my grandmother has depression, my mother was involved in organized crime and has commited murder and was a very unstable drinker (we are not in speaking terms anymore) and an aunt is extremely neurotic. My mother was never diagnosed with schizophrenia but did mention once that she had experienced allucinations and if you knew her you would know there was something deeply wrong with her. So currently I am 19 and I although (like all people) I do have my own neurotic behavior, but I do not feel like I'm mentally unstable, quit the contrary I feel I am more stable than most 19 year olds. However I have had many psychedelic experiences (around 13 perhaps) and most of them where manageable some very pleasurable. But the last three started to take a dark direction especially the last one I had which was a mushroom trip and I was faced with my death which I could not handle and did not break through. It was the most frightening experience I've ever had and ever since the idea of death and mortality keeps tormenting my mind. I have fear that because of my family history of mental history I will develop schizophrenia. Generally males develop it between their teens and 20s. Is there any actual evidence that there is a link between psychedelics and schizophrenia or is it just anti-drug propaganda. Also, aside from the recurring thoughts of death I don't really see anything wrong with me and I can't really say it has made me depressed or anything. Thank you for your time!

Dude, you're not gonna get schizophrenia.  I totally believe you when you say you are more normal than most 19 year olds.  You're probably are more in touch with the whole of reality, not just the good parts.  Stop doing psychedelics because they can throw you off the path sometimes.  They bring up stuff that is hard to integrate for the people around you who aren't doing them, and it's really not necessary to constantly push the limits.  Just try to take simple steps towards goals every day.  Don't be too attached to the goals, but try to make it fun when you can.  Think of how much more satisfying it is to start and complete a project you're invested in.  That is a feeling you can't produce by just seeking Euphoria inducing drugs.  The drugs might help you reconnect with that juicy place someday once your life and some stability have been established.

@Andre Quinonez I would suggest contemplating the statement ‘I shouldn’t develop schizophrenia, is it true?’. If you do it long enough, it will blow your mind. Your view on your family will shift 180 degrees. Give it a try.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie