saint_charming7

How do deal with ''Naysayers" when you're changing careers?

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I would like some guidance from more experienced people in the market force. I'm 24 years old, fresh out of college with a BA in Social Communications/journalism. In my college days, I used to work as an economics reporter, I enjoyed so much the field of economics during my job that I've decided to  follow a career in economics. I'm currently applying for a graduate program in economics, it seems it's going pretty well: I'm doing the studying with no problem, developing my skills, and I even received some invitations for different programs. What has been challenging with this new field I'm entering, it's because many times, people in the field (professors, employers and other classmates) are skeptical of my skills because I didn't graduate in economics, finance, math or something 100% related. It can be quite overwhelming and annoying sometimes, it seems like I have always to "prove them wrong" or tell them every time about my past: on how journalism brought me into economics. Does anybody had or is having a similar experience? How can I do my job in peace without "having to prove them all the time"? I just want to be treated equally that's all. haha

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate!

@saint_charming7 Make a concrete body of work and then let that do the speaking for you.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

You could re-frame your perspective on your alternate path to economics, and project that to your professors, employers and peers.   

When the topic comes up, as you suggest it often does, use the story to show how passionate you are about economics.  Honestly, I think your story is a brilliant 'ice breaker' to network with other individuals in your field.  

- Show them you embrace your time in journalism, and how it helps you in your current career (writing skills, etc).

- Tell them the story about your path that led you to this great career--how you were drawn to it.

- Segway into a story about some great article you wrote about economics.

- Ask them how they got into economics.  

They will soon forget that you aren't 'pure' in a condescending, negative way.   You'll be remembered as 'the guy that loves economics that used to be a journalist'.  Embrace it man.  

@Dan Arnautu Thanks for the advice, I will focus on that! @exhale This is a great advice, thank you so much. Yes, I will definitely look into it. Honestly, I'm feeling much better after reading what you just told me, thanks again!