Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Vitamine Water

Stretching

7 posts in this topic

Sometimes when I do a body stretch (standing with shoulders backwards, chest/stomach inwards, with hands behind my back and neck turned backwards) I hear this loud snap (or crack, click?) in the heart/solar plexus area. I gradually stretch my body from the base of the spine to the top and at this particular area I hear this snap sound. It's nothing compared to the usual, subtle stretching sounds I hear. I feel really comfortable afterwards and sometimes even zone out for a bit after a long sit. My question is, is this loud snapping or clicking normal? What does it mean, or do? I'm new to yoga poses and stretching exercises, so I don't even know if this body stretch exercise is safe ;)

Thanks!

The art is to look without looking 

Take it easy when starting out with yoga. If it doesn't hurt it's probably nothing to worry about. If you're a beginner though, find a class with a well trained yoga instructor as he/she will be able to guide you and properly limit your practice when you begin. Why is this important? because when you're out of touch with your body (assuming this is the case), you forget the notion of serious pain -the pain that comes from damagin something- and workout pain -the pain you get from fatigue-. To avoid injuries, your mind must learn to sort this out. It's a process so give it time and patience. Never discard help from and experienced source. ;)  
(btw, I'm a 4 year dancer and intermediate yoga student) 

@Faceless Nah, not at all. Quite the opposite really :)

@Salcedoop Thanks for the advice! It doesn't hurt, so good to know i'm fine ;)

I'm planning to attend yoga classes in the future. For now, i'm exploring different styles and poses to learn the basics. I think I resonate the most with Kundalini now

Edited by Vitamine Water

The art is to look without looking 

I have that its normal dont worry

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

I agree that you should start slowly with yoga, and with any kind of exercise. I work my yoga at home, but I have taken classes for 3 years before that.