Spence94

Taking the principle of "one thing" too literally?

4 posts in this topic

Choose one thing. Dominate one thing. Master the fuck out of one thing. Youll fail if you dont pick one thing above all else.

Im kinda bought into this Sagely vision and im allowing that to become my own unique version but im stuck between the overlap of life purpose/ Sagehood and self Actualization.

I originally wanted to teach people yoga one day but since adopting a new vision for my life as a whole it seems my life has gone beyond just that.

After a year learning kriya and Asana from a true Yogi i now find myself in China learning Tai Chi and Qi gong from some masters. I have mindfulness retreats and such planned too. I also love lifting weights and my body and wanna start figuring out how to bring conciousness into that.

I have defined my practice as

" A practice and study of the science of yoga, meditation, movement, psychology, body&mind, energy, emotions and awareness"

However underneath ive written my field of Mastery as simply "yoga" but doesnt quite ring with me anymore.

I saw Leo comment recently saying that being a sage IS a specialization despite it being a path covering a broad spectrum.

Basically i dont wanna limit myself and am excited about the prospect of exploring different fields in relation to my practice, while isolating elements and going deep at times. I basically wanna master how this Human machine of body, mind and conciousness operates and can be optimized on all levels. Teaching and sharing what i discover for myself. Its kind of a merging of many things ontop of a more broad vision.

Make sense? Too much? Am i just dabbling? Should i narrow my focus more or just shut up and go with it and the opportunities infront of me? Any thoughts?

I've a similar thing going on concerning seemingly blowing things out of proportions with my vision. I think that's actually natural though as one contemplates deeper and deeper about what one really wants, values, vision etc. We have all those narrow conceptions of fields one can master in our culture. When I get to the root of my values and don't think about those conceptions, I can see that the ways I can uphold and promote those values aren't easily defined and can stretch across multiple fields.

So, all those different ways may seem too many to focus on at once. I think we want to keep all of them in view and practice them in our own lives as appropriate. But we need to narrow down to find the most important ways that one can realistically master. I think it's important to not get stuck in concepts when in the process of this search. Merging multiple parts of multiple fields may be necessary. "One thing" doesn't mean "one preexisting concept". It can be whatever, as long as it can realistically be mastered.

Some things I use to guide me in this search is what I feel is most important/effective in upholding my values, as well as what I feel will give others the most value (rarity of skill for example) and simply what I'm pretty sure I would enjoy doing most of the time. Also, I'd want to ask myself if it is reasonable that I could master this given skill.

Not confident in giving concrete advice in your case, but maybe this thinking process might help. :)

@Spence94 Being great at one specific thing is awesome, but it will make you a very boring individual. You won’t have the broad life experience to connect concepts and potentially gain mastery of a field to a deeper degree. Plus, it seems like you would enjoy your life more with spacing out your time on different disciplines. Learn as much as you can about a lot, and figure out how you’ll be unique and saught after with what you do.

There are exceptional people who didn’t specialize, read about DaVinci