Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Not Just A Philosophical Debate

8 posts in this topic

I have a problem. I want to report someone to the authorities for something they are doing.

It's not murder but it's important enough for me to make a report.

At the same time the person I want to report has done stuff to me in the past and part of me would like to get me own back.

So in equal parts I am motivated to do something to stop this person, because it would be the right things to do, but I hold back because I don't want it to be personal. 

What's the solution? How do you decide what to do? 

BKK-J 

Edited by BKK-J

Why not just leave it to the authorities? I doubt revenge will truly satisfy you.

That's why I am holding back but the authorities would not be aware of the issue unless I engage in whistle-blowing. 

Don't let the prejudices about the person cloud your conscience. I would say, go out for a walk with him, and stay honest & tell everything you want to tell him, also tell him how you feel about it. Don't expect anything from him, just show him what you have in your closet and tell him how you feel about it. Don't try to compel him to feel the same way you do, about that thing. Just accept whatever he wants to tell you after that without creating any more prejudices about him. 

Like some wise philosophers in the past used to say: F*ck Tha Police. 

I don't know what it's about but I'd grab a stick and whack that guy in the head. Middle men make things too complicated.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

On 26 February 2016 at 0:51 AM, BKK-J said:

I have a problem. I want to report someone to the authorities for something they are doing.

At the same time the person I want to report has done stuff to me in the past and part of me would like to get me own back.

So in equal parts I am motivated to do something to stop this person, because it would be the right things to do, but I hold back because I don't want it to be personal. 

BKK-J 

Think about if it was someone who you didn't know much or have any complicated relations with, would you report that person for doing the thing whatever this other person you mention of is doing? 

If so then go ahead because it seems it's something you'd do as an impersonal act,  if not it's probably not serious enough and just a revenge thing.

You have to put aside your personal issues with this person and decide objectively. Would you like somebody you didn't know to report somebody else you didn't know for doing this thing? Would you like to live in a world where everybody reported this kind of behavior? Think socially.

On 2/26/2016 at 6:51 PM, BKK-J said:

BKK-J 

Follow your instinct in regards to reporting it. 

As for the rest of what you've said here, you need to let go of whatever happened in the past. Otherwise it's going to bother you forever. Let go of the idea that you were wronged by this person. They are living out their illusion, you can decide to not be trapped in it with them. 

When I was first learning how to forgive and let go of things done to me, one of the most useful tools was to put myself in their shoes, think about why they might have done what they did. You don't condone their behavior, no matter their reason, but when you allow yourself to feel true compassion, it is easy to forgive. But it takes time and practice. 

When you forgive, it won't hurt you anymore. You can move on.