Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JevinR

Application And Theory Bullsh*t

13 posts in this topic

How do you take every concept you learn and apply it? In order to be a true results maker 

As clearly stated in this video:

Tyler stating that : "In fact, many people I know who are very well-versed in self-development, are the worst little paraders of this bullsh*t that everything will work out for the best, and they have forgotten the component (The most important component really of self-development) of taking ACTION, they have forgotten the component of rational paranoia that you will F*CKING FAIL IF You do Not, Take, Action"

Which pisses me off about all these videos and all this theory, and strangeness that this forum is conjuring, rather than focusing on the more important things, such as practicality. More-so, Leo did say in one of his results making video, that "If you are just watching video from video of Actualized.org, STOP that sh*t, and that you should be taking x100 action on every video/concept, and that in his life purpose course that he needs to add his own style, or personality of self-development. What I think is more important is to get dry down this hippy non-sense, and get to the root of things. To get the bare-bones concepts and apply them.

Edited by JevinR

@JevinR Could you be more specific, or is there really nothing to explain here?

I think most concepts were learned don't require conscious application, rather, they become part of out mental model and subconsciously alter our perception of the world. As for those that require conscious effort to apply, wouldn't the means of doing so depend on what it is that is being put into practice? Without given any specifics, I'd say just do it.

I agree that taking action is an extremely important part of personal development.

Taking action is what creates real results. Just filling your head with theory by watching videos and reading books all day is not going to change anything. It's the action that follows that gets you the results.

@Saitama for some things it might indeed work as you say, when you mentally learn things then your own perception changes and you'd more or less automatically take action. But for many things it is much more powerful when you consciously and deliberately do things. Deliberately experiment with applying the concepts in your own life and find out what works for you and what doesn't.

Sometimes fears can stop you from taking action and no amount of learning theory will help. I know I have a subconscious fear of failure and rejection. These fears very easily cause me to make up excuses to not have to take action. Here are some of those excuses that I make up when I think about approaching an attractive woman:

• "She will think that I want something from her and that I'm weak and needy!"
  • "She will laugh at me and think I'm weird!"
  • "She probably already has a man!"

I can watch a thousand videos by dating coaches, pickup artists and self-help gurus but if I really want to learn something I'm going to have to stop filling my head with theory and take action despite my fears, there's no way around it.

@Jesper Sure, my response was tailored to the pre-edited OP, which didn't really say anything.

The thing with personal development is that there are two components of it: the inner-game and the outer-game.

The outer-game is the one that requires practical action. Actually making changes to your circumstances to get physical results.

But the inner-game is, in my opinion, much more important. The problem with it is that it too requires action but the action is internal. The inner-game is concerned with your psychology: your interpretation of things, limiting  beliefs, values, motivations, insecurites, neuroses etc. Fundamentally our entire experience of the world, of relality, is filtered through our psychology, Through this inner game. Our psychology is our experienced reality.

In effect, the inner-game is the 'real' one, from which the outer-game is derived. Depending on the level of inner work we do, our perception of what outer work needs doing will change.

So I am an advocate for inner-work and psychology from which all our actions derive. Getting the inner work down first before taking action makes more sense than taking action first. Because if we go ahead taking actions and then our psychology changes, the actions that we took may no longer be relavent or appropriate. In fact it is possibile to require little to no practical action at all if you nail the inner stuff.. because you realise that it is all an illusion and has little true value..

It's actually possible to be happy and at peace with everything exactly as it is.

Edited by FindingPeace

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

Sure, don't get stuck in theory-mode. That's a given. Useful to remind yourself of it over and over again.

But it's also important to qualify what action means. Action doesn't just mean going out and doing stuff in the external world. It also means internal action. In fact, taking external action is another trap of personal developing. Just doing stuff in the external world is a HUGE trap that most successful Westerners fall into, including Tyler and guys who follow RSD.

To get the biggest gains, you need to take massive INTERNAL action.

Internal action includes things like:

• Contemplation
  • Proper philosophical and strategic thinking
  • Visualization
  • Meditation
  • Self-inquiry
  • Shadow work
  • Coaching/therapy
  • Journaling
  • Etc...

Discussion and theory acquisition is important, just keep it in proper proportion.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Learning is behavior change not accumulation of knowledge.

"Repeat a lie a thousand times and it becomes the truth."

Dr. joseph Goebbels

As I've read posts around this forum I've got a good picture of some of the external work people are doing on a daily basis towards their self-development. But it strikes me that some people are focussing so obsessively with external work that it becomes a distraction from doing the inner work.

I think it is easier to concetrate on external work because it is easier to create 'tangible' results and it also 'feels' productive. The problem with inner work is that the results are not so instant and can be far more subtle and insideous. There's no material demonstration of the work that's being done and so people perhaps don't feel like they are being productive.

I've known people who believe they are doing plenty of outer work but from the outside it is obvious to see that they aren't really acheiving anything at all. It just becomes another source of neuroses.

This is a dangerous trap to fall in to.

“If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place.”  - Lao Tzu

When you do the inner work, outer "work" ceases to exist. You automatically do the things you want to do, and stop doing the things that you don't want to do. 

Life gets easier, better. You don't have to force yourself anymore! Stop being outer-focused. Go inside, that's where real change happens. 

There is tons of practical information on how to do it. Meditate and do shadow work. Dispose of your beliefs. Learn what your feelings are for and how to use them the right way. 

Yeah, I can be a real sloth when it comes to taking action as well, at least in the outside world but I do do a lot of self work like Leo mentioned in a comment so no one can call me lazy there ;) 

Thanks @FindingPeace and @Leo Gura  for making me think about the balance between inner-game and outer-game.

I'm ofcourse looking at this through my own lens. I am a thinker, and I notice that it's easy for me to spend a lot of time learning theory and think about myself (inner-game) and I find it a lot harder to go out there and do things (outer-game). Because when I do that, I really have to face my fears, and that's scary.

Edited by Jesper

9 hours ago, Jesper said:

Thanks @FindingPeace and @Leo Gura  for making me think about the balance between inner-game and outer-game.

I'm ofcourse looking at this through my own lens. I am a thinker, and I notice that it's easy for me to spend a lot of time learning theory and think about myself (inner-game) and I find it a lot harder to go out there and do things (outer-game). Because when I do that, I really have to face my fears, and that's scary.

Yes externalizing for someone who is naturally contemplative can be a huge challenge. Acknowledgment of your surface fear is an excellent start. Keep utilizing your strength and practice deep self inquiry to really understand your fear. Its seems obvious that the ego is the primary source, and that it poses you no real threat. However, identifying the obvious irrationality of your fear is the easy part. In truth, the guise of surface irrationality is only an illusion. Your ego and your sense of self have a paradoxical hold over your emotions because of deep underlying connections that are constructed by your world view and experience. This is the root cause of an immeasurable amount of pain and suffering for everyone, internally and externally.

We identify so strongly with the moment and sense of self that we loose touch with the universe(IE, GOD, True Self, Higher Self, etc.) and as a consequence are severely limited because of it.

Or......

You can do it the quick way and literally try to purposely get rejected. Say something outlandish and out of character to a random people. This will build you a good tolerance for rejection and your fear subside the more you do it.

Good Luck!

Edited by TheFrown
Grammer