Ka

Meditation Styles

4 posts in this topic

I am very interested in learning about different techniques you guys are using in meditation. Which ones do you like most, which ones didn't work out so well for you and why?

That said I am aware that everybody is different and some styles might work better than others depending on the individual using them. For me it is finding the best way to get present and aware of what is going on inside of my body / mind and also getting some space in between me and the turmoil to be able to observe it.

I have been meditating for about 2 years now, starting with 10 minute sessions once a day and I am at 25 minutes two - three times a day currently. But I have to admit it's still a big challenge for me, mostly because I feels like I merge with the thoughts that come up, so it doesn't seem possible to observe them. Only after noticing that I have been following a thought I am able to reflect on it and let go, but maybe thats just the process which is necessary.

Through the months I did tried a couple different techniques (including the ones mentioned by Leo on his Youtube channel), guided meditations, focusing on breathing and the sensations it causes, "letting go" and some mantra-based techniques as well. I was interested in TM but did not really like the guru-esque approach so I did not take the courses they offered. The mantra based one I really enjoyed (using "I AM" mantra) because after some practice it brought me to a deeper space of calmness and awareness, which I like to call "the space tunnel". But saying (or rather thinking) something over and over again somehow felt not right for me personally so I switched to just completely focusing on my heart beat and using a breathing technique to let go of tension once I become aware of it. This brings me to the same place the mantra did but it does take much longer to get there. 

What are your experiences? How do your practices look like? I would love read of your experiences.

-Ka

I really enjoyed mantra meditation using I AM for a long time but eventually had to drop it. Now I simply follow my breath for 20m. When my attention moves to a thought, judgement or sensation, I notice it and gently return back to my breath. 

I use the "do nothing"-technique as a standard combined with the "strong determination sitting"-technique. If you do let's say 10-20 strong determination sits you transcend your 20 minutes meditation time, no pain comes up any more and you're very centred and calm.

These two techniques are responsible for my fastest and deepest meditation growth. I'm currently meditating a hour every day for 10 months and it changed the way I perceive reality and myself to the complete positive.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

I feel that deep breathing works the best to rid myself of thought.  Doing this twice daily for 30-45 min has a residual effect that severely dampens unnecessary thinking.  Also I feel more in touch with Spirit and my True Self as a result.  Whatever works!!