Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bronsoval

Mastery: The Fine Line Between Dabbling And Obsessing.

5 posts in this topic

I have been struggling with this all of my life!  I know there is a perfect amount of time/energy/effort to spend on a subject (let's use math as an example).  The problem is, I don't want to dabble in math, and so I end up obsessing over it.  I feel like if I am not obsessing, then I must be dabbling.  This line of thinking has led me in the past into a career that I love, working 80-100 hours/ week.  It does not feel like work because I love doing it, it is more like playtime.  The problem is that during this time, I neglected my friends, family and self.  It is not sustainable. I see myself heading that way again.

I think I might have just answered my own question but please share your thoughts!!

I have suffered the same problems. I think it is important to get to a place where you find the right balance for you-- this will also change a lot. Personally, I have decided to devote more time to my work and enlightenment practice at the expense of any relationships. A few years down the road, I might make more time for a personal life. You can't have it all. Decide what you are willing to give up to life a certain lifestyle.

Also, make sure to focus on enjoying the moment and the process instead of obsessing over results. Goals are meant to gently guide you in a certain direction; failure is to be expected if you set high standards. Be okay with this and just enjoy the ride; don't compare yourself to others.

2 hours ago, Pinocchio said:

Do what you gotta do. Don't do what you don't gotta do.

"To be is to do" — Socrates
"To do is to be" — Jean-Paul Sartre
"Do be do be do" — Frank Sinatra

I would just like to add:

"Scoo be do be do" -- Scooby-Doo

;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

If you're working more than 50 hours per week, you're doing it wrong. And if you're working less than 30 hours per week, you're doing it wrong.

The ideal is... 40 hours per week! No more, no less.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura

55 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

If you're working more than 50 hours per week, you're doing it wrong. And if you're working less than 30 hours per week, you're doing it wrong.

The ideal is... 40 hours per week! No more, no less.

Leo, I'm surprised to read this from you! Although I'm naive when it truly comes to career and business running. I'll shed some UN-insightful light anyhow ;) Take with a grain of salt.

It's so hard in this age to distinguish what work is for many people. I'll argue that a good amount of hours will depend on what you need to do to create an income. Some creative minds will have their motor running most of the day. First start by identifying exactly what your work is. Then, get an overall idea of how your time is spent in relation to other areas of your life satisfaction, before identifying what is an appropriate time to allot for work. Do you need to be more strict when it comes to time allocation or even possible scheduling? Don't lie to or sacrifice yourself. I'll be honest here and say I am SO far out of my comfort zone since you mentioned the devil. I mean MATH. LOL. Just thinking to myself as much as I'm talking to you here.. Best of luck Bronsoval!

Love & Light

Gabrielle