Peter Zemskov

How To Know On What Stage Of Spiral Dynamics Are You?

4 posts in this topic

I find it really difficult to identify my stage on Spiral Dynamics. Any tips on how to do it?

5 hours ago, Shiva said:

Make a conservative estimate and then subtract two stages

This is so true. As humans, due to our ego, we really have a tendency to inflate where we think we are, especially when presented with hierarchical scales.

Asking in which state of the spiral dynamic you are is a "yellow" question.

Don't giving a f* about where you belong, sound like turquoise imo.

(Well, I haven't read the book - it's a simplistic deduction).

Edited by Soulbass

You need to be flexible with Graves - different portions of the psyche exist in different stages. You're best to mark yourself in percentages (e.g. 40% orange, 20% green, 40% yellow) rather than say "I am green" "I am orange". People exhibit characteristics of many stages around their "main stage". Plus, it's just a model of course.

Under this model, I'd say over 80% of people in first-world countries are deeply in Orange. It's difficult to escape. Look around, most people are concerned with material success, comfort, cheap enjoyment and not much else. They buy into mainstream culture, common science and common views of life in general. It's so rampant that it's seen as the best and only way right now. Having said that, even people who are deeply in stage Orange will probably exhibit some Green/Yellow characteristics because some parts of their psyche will be evolving. 

You are best to assume you are in Orange, because you probably are without knowing it, and then look for how you exhibit Green or Yellow behaviour.
If to some degree you have seen through materialism and culture and have new drives and interests in life, such as meditation, psychedelics, yoga, going on retreats, eating clean, helping people, volunteering, sharing your passion for the sheer hell and beauty of it, you're probably pushing into Green. 

If you stick out like a sore thumb amongst Orange friends and family for all of these traits, and they question what you are doing with your life, you're well into Green. I know a few people I'd consider firmly as stage Green. It's quite easy to tell.

If you start to see this reality as a bunch of systems that all interact, attack and defend each other, part of you is in Yellow. You will not get angry at stuff, you'll see it as a problem, not of an individual or a group of people, but caused by a lack of awareness and wisdom which has its roots long before the people living now existed. You will tend to look for causes of problems rather than dismissing people as "brainwashed" "evil" "crazy" "stupid", or blaming the government or corporations. This goes from the macro to the micro level. Another pointer is being open to all perspectives and seeing truth in all of them.

Don't trick yourself that you're out of Orange though. That will take a long time to happen - Orange is so rampant right now.

Your focus should be on ridding your psyche of any negative stage orange behaviour, a lot of Leo's videos are about that actually. 

Edited by RossE

Founder of The Great Updraft: Articles, Courses + More

www.thegreatupraft.com