Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

first glimpse of enlightenment = mental illness

8 posts in this topic

So when I had my first enlightenment experience, it was really strong. Everything was great until I met other people and then it became really scary. Basically, since my experience and everyone else's was one, I was overwhelmed with input and it pretty much caused what doctors would characterize as schizophrenia or autism. I got so scared that I wanted to snap back to my old self BADLY and I couldn't. It lasted for a couple of days

My second enlightenment experience was cool- I was chilling in nature, blissful and all, lost track of time but then again.... since it wasn't so dramatic as the first one, I started to second-guess if it really was an enlightenment experience. I guess it wasn't. After all, if it was, I wouldn't have to second guess.

Are autistic people actually enlightened (no trolling intended lol)? Where is the border? Do enlightenment experiences get stronger and stronger each consequent time? Or could second, third experiences be weaker than the first one because you got somewhat used to it after the initial breakthrough?

Thanks for reading!

for me, i see autism is either dense/slow learning process problem while one can still manage to be in society. and other type, where one really is ill and must be taken care of all the time.

i myself think that i have the 1st one, and even then due to my traumas and other problems, i have through-out years discovered that if i just

accept that i learn stuff on slower rate i know that i AM learning and eventually i'll get there, [wherever that is] as long i dont make it personal problem for myself and criticise myself to hell about it, it goes very calmly like a small stream, eventually even i will flow into a river and at some point even ocean.

I feel the important thing to note from both of your "enlightenment experiences" is, they were events that 'you' experienced, you can differentiate between both of them.

Where are you taking your stand in the experience?

I'd ask you to look deeper at that which was the background for both.

E2a: Enlightenment is not so much an event 'you' experience.

Edited by Dunc

O man, this is the biggest problem with enlightenment for me. I actually believe that there is no single enlightenment and all religions and spiritual traditions are not the same and there is no line from normal to enlightenment. There is a huge, huge field of conscious experiences and what normal humans usually experience is a small island in that field, but in that island you can interact with other people and live usual life. And many people do not get to that island and have different mental issues. There are places much better that normal human island and there are much worse. So I would advise you to proceed with caution and use your best judgement. Do not just think that you need to destroy everything in your mental life and you will be free, you need to carefully examine and improve it. This may not hold true for some people who are very set and comfortable in normal position, may be they need strong kicks like drugs or whatever. But if you have problems bordering mental issues in such experiences I would advise you to ground yourself, live the best responsible normal life you can, become confident and mentally strong and then try to seek some new meditative experiences. May be it is possible that there is even no need for lofty meditations and you can just focus on living responsible, caring and attentive life and it will lead to better conscious experiences than any meditation.

3 hours ago, Denis said:

Do enlightenment experiences get stronger and stronger each consequent time? Or could second, third experiences be weaker than the first one because you got somewhat used to it after the initial breakthrough?

This can probably vary. I had several spiritual encounters in meditation and I can see how I progress and get to deeper experiences and more direct Truths however actual spiritual experiences appear very random in intensity and duration.

"spiritual experiences" is used here as a description of a single very transforming experience that does not lead to a permanent stage off satori but displays some deeper truth of reality.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

Thanks for everyone's answers, guys! I decided to put off enlightenment for now since I don't even have a life purpose yet and there are so many areas that need improving. Not ready for spiritual experiences. I am just glad that now I truly know that they exist

That Osho fella described mental illness as attachment to form or formless. In my experience, it exposed my underlying immaturity & insecurities. What's important to know here is that enlightenment is not mental ilness. Mental illness involves a loss of the ability to cope. It is suffering in some way. Enlightenment could help someone who has perhaps suffered from your traditional idea of mental illness to cope with & work with or find pleasure in their condition without resistance to it. Therefore, there would be no illness.

Edited by Binary Encoded Sunset

Oooh, that and panic attacks appear like sudden spikes in consciousness!

Edited by Binary Encoded Sunset